computer freezing

*Dave*

hi

Three times today my screen has frozen,can't

click on anything or go anywhere,The only thing i can click on is start.When i do this the colour faids and the pages come from the back

and like ghost in with each other, ive just clicked restart thats the only move ,then

everythings ok. im on NTL anyone had same problem

or can someone tell me whats going on

Thanks

Dave

Have you run Ad-aware & Spybot to find and remove spyware? And CWShredder to get rid of any traces of the coolweb search bar?

Dumped temporary internet files and cookies?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What OS do you run?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi Newt,

run Ad-aware on tuesday only found six items,

put Spybot search & Distroy in this morning ,

thats got rid of 150 sumat or another,

my screen has frozen twice today, but NTL are

working on the system so for now ill put

that problem down to them,

thank for your help and spybot

dave

Dave G - $39 is £21.15

Several other things I'd do with XP-Pro

1. Turn off indexing. Open My Computer, right-click on your C: drive, click on properties, then uncheck the indexing entry at the bottom. Do the same for all other hard drives you have.

2. While you are still on properties for the drive(s) run a cleanup. It will take just this side of forever the first time or two but gets quicker after you've run it a couple times. Maybe once a week for 3 or 4 weeks and then as needed. Check the boxes to let it deal with everything it finds.

3. start~run~cmd then chkdsk c: /r and when is says it can't do the deed just now, answer Y(es) to doing it at next reboot then reboot.

4. Run defrag about once a month at least and oftener if you are doing lots of file add/remove/modification.

5. If you still have problems and if you have a regular XP install CD, put the CD in the drive then start~run~sfc /scannow to let the system file checker replace any damaged or missing system files.

hi,

Newt done all as above, waw the differance is

fast, you have helped me quit alot and thank

you, theres's a pint or two wait for you,

Cranfield, good question, all i can say Newt

has sorted my system out, will watch for your

answer though,

Dave

Dave - glad it is helping.

Cranfield - Indexing is a thing Microsoft has tried to do for years as a way to speed up file search/retrieval on your PC. First included as an add-on with Microsoft Office. It builds a small database of file names & locations and your searches are supposed to use the dB rather than having to physically search the drive contents.

In theory, wonderful idea. In practice, they simply have never gotten it right. On XP and 2K, it takes up space, eats cpu cycles updating the dB when ever you do anything and sometimes when you don't, and doesn't seem to make a smidgen of difference in file retrieval except to make it slower on some systems. Basically, it's overhead you don't need and really don't want.

[ 05. March 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]