computer freezing

*Dave*

Thanks Newt, I have unchecked the box, it asked me if I wanted to include all files etc as well as the local disc, I said "yes".

I trust this was the right thing to do.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

My PC was getting slow and seazing up.

I found a file called MEMORY.dmp and tried to open it with notepad. It took ages.

I decided to delete the file but created a new one with the same name just in case it was needed. It seems to have helped!

How do you turn off the indexing in 2K?

[ 05. March 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Memory Dump )the thing that creates the memory.dmp file) is useful IF you are getting crashes for strange reasons and are unable to track them down. You set for a memory dump and send the thing to Microsoft for a high-level tech to plow thru. Otherwise they are a waste of space.

I keep mine set to off (don't do the dump) unless I have a problem that needs the dump file for diagnosis.

Indexing in 2K is turned on/off exactly like it is in XP. My Computer then right-click on your C: drive, uncheck the 'indexing' box at the bottom. Repeat for all drives/partitions.

[ 06. March 2004, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

Indexing in 2K is turned on/off exactly like it is in XP.  My Computer then right-click on your C: drive, uncheck the 'indexing' box at the bottom.  Repeat for all drives/partitions.

No 'indexing' box to uncheck, I'm afraid!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim - the default with 2K Pro is to have indexing service disabled so yours probably is. If you don't see the check box, check your services and find Indexing Service. If it is not set to Disabled, you can change it to that setting and it will be off.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President