What Driver Do I Need?

Del_R

Just put in a new hard drive in my folks' PC on account of a total failure of the old one. Got it all up and running to a fashion, but now I've got the task of finding the drivers for all the odds and ends. The motherboard is an Intel i810e (circa 1999) with integrated sound and graphics - but there's no manual to tell me precisely what chips are on there, and hence what I need to be searching for on the web. The display is working within reason, but so far I've had no joy at all with the sound. Any ideas how I might figure out what driver I need?

Cheers,

Derek

Usually the drivers supplied by what ever O/S youve installed are fine. But if your wanting the correct drivers for the onboard stuff, look at the M/B usually around or very nr the pci slots and it will either have the name of the company with the model no or just the model number or if you have the manual for it post the name and i'll point you in the right direction :)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Seems like I have lots of options ;-))

I've managed to identify the MB as a GA-6WMM which has led to various pages listing driver downloads. At the moment it's the sound that I can't get up and running. Seems like it's a Yamaha PCI driver that I need so I'll have another look this evening and see if I can download something that'll make it work...

When I put in the new HDD should I have "run the BIOS" or something similar? Everything worked, but only after a fashion.

PCs, eh? Never catch on!

Derek

Grrr. The modem isn't recognised, consequently I can't dial up to download the drivers (I don't have CDR on this PC and by the looks of things the drivers are all bigger than 1.44 Mb). So I need to go back a stage...

I believe the modem is a Aztech MR2800 MR (*). How can I get this to appear in the list of modems on the ADD Modem list in control panel(**). My thinking is, once I can get this added, I can then download a driver (which hopefully won't be bigger than 1.44 Mb) and maybe get the modem going...

(*) Simply because that's the only reference I can find on any paperwork from way back...

(**) Or can I just call up any modem name and attach the Aztech driver to it?

Del... slowly getting closer to the edge

Hee hee! There's blood everywhere now where I sliced open my finger trying to get the modem out!! This is like "Fixing PCs with Stephen King".

Anyway, it is an MR2800 and I've downloaded the driver to this machine, but of course it's too big for a floppy disk even zipped up.

Time for a relaxing bath and a ponder...

Del