Kodak Easyshare Software problem.

Norrie

Hiya, I run windows 98SE. I was getting a bit of greiff with programmes not running etc,pc not starting up properly etc,I had this problem with my old pc and put it down to the Kodak software. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, problem solved, Got the same hassle with this PC, so today I uninstalled it and reinstalled it correctly,and successfully(so the pc said anyway).When I try to open it ,it does not respond,so the window says when you Ctrl Alt Delete. Any idea as this is doing my nut in.Any answers in plain English please. PC numpty here.

Cheers.

Norrie

P)S I closed all open programmes before installing easyshare.

I've just tried installing the software from the website. It installed ok,when I went to use it, I got a window opening saying

c:programmfileskodakkodakeasysharesoftwarecatalogeasyshare.me failed.

The application cannot run.

Tried again after closing down my virus software and when I tried to open it ,I get the message, "easyshare caused an invalid page fault in module mediaengine.dll at 016f:00526a3

[ 13. April 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

If your camera is connected to your pc via a USB port then I would say ditch the software. Most of it is useless anyway. You can get trial versions of Paintshop Pro off the covers of many computer magazines and that will do the job far better. Just click on Browse and then point it at the removeable disk that appears in the dialog.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

That's exactly what I do, not because I'm getting the same problems as you Norrie, but because I found the Kodak software was quite annoying to use.

I've got the DX4900 and although the pictures are good, every single one will need brightening before I save them which is a real pain.

HB.

Peter/Howard, Thanks for the replies, its a DX4900 I've got as well, now when you say install new software etc, where can I get it and how do I get my camera to work with it.I do have Adobe Photo deluxe and Irfanview on my pc, are they ok for the job.????As before, be gentle with me as regards PC speak....Cheers Guys

Theocritis..

Adobe Photo Deluxe is probably about the best if you are completely new to digital photography. The preset tools will correct most of the common problems quite adequately.

Paintshop Pro is excellent, but can be a bit baffling when you go into it for the first time. You really need to go into View | Toolbars and then add a few buttons to the few that are already there. It takes quite a while to really get into it, so it's probably best to scan a few of your worst colour photos and try to work out how to correct them by using the options under Effects or Colour. Once you have decided upon your favourites, you can put the shortcut button on your toolbar.

I think it's well worth buying the program, but you can keep re-installing trial versions. There are other ways as well of course.

I find it far better to work with than Photoshop, which although is more powerful, is horribly laid out and awkward to work with.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Hi Peter, Righty, how do I get my camera to work with Adobe, as in, I've not got a clue, step by step please if you can.Do I open Adobe, and write in my camera or what. I honestly havent got a clue. I got the software with it and insalled it,took pics, and plugged it in, I got prints etc. :confused: :confused:

Theocritis..

It's a while since I've used it now, so I'll have to guess a little. When you plug your camera into your computer via a usb port, you should notice an icon appear in your system tray at the bottom of the screen to confirm that the camera's disk is connected. Try clicking on your File menu in Adobe and see if there is a Browse option. If not, you will have to open the pics one at a time, but the procedure is the same for both options. Lets assume you only have the File | Open option. Click on that and it will bring up a dialog asking you where the file is. You should notice that you now have an extra disk (it says removeable disk G: on mine). Click on that, then on any sub-folders that your camera may have created. You will then see all the file names listed. The beauty of Paintshop Pro is that the browse option will open every image in your camera as a thumbnail picture. I don't know if Adobe offers you this facility.

Double click on a file and it will open up to full size. You can then try all the various colour correction facilities, or whatever else you might want to experiment with. I think Photo Deluxe offers a whole range of snapshot versions of your file, with various colour corrections for you to choose from.

I'm afraid I uninstalled my copy as soon as I acquired Paintshop Pro. Can you make sense of what I have described?

Thanks for that Peter,it's simple enough,and I think I understand it,but will get Davy Holt to do it for me.Seemingly, according to him, its a confliction problem caused in no small part to.......ME. :(:rolleyes: A while ago, I tried to upgrade to XP,and thats where the problems started. :confused: He is going to re format the whole pc for me. :D Thanks for your help guys. :)

Norrie

Theocritis..

Peter, I guess Norrie's problem is on the way to being solved but I would just like some clarification concerning your comment that "you can keep re-installing trial versions".

I'm not 100% sure how it works but I presume that when a trial version is installed for the first time a small file must be hidden on the C drive so that the software can tell when the 30 days are up (it must be on the computer somewhere because the software can't write to the CD). If you try to re-install the trial version it, first of all checks for the hidden file and, if it finds one, it won't let you re-install it. Hacks are available on the internet that interfere with this process so allowing you to continue to use the trial version but I don't think that's what you were referring to. If you can trace the hidden file, I assume it can just be deleted and the software won't be able to tell that its been installed previously.

Sometimes full working copies are given away with magazines but not necessarily when you need them. I use Paint Shop Pro Version 5.0 that I bought for £5.00 from a computer fair. Within a matter of months, the same one was given away with a magazine :( Mind you, the magazine cost £4.99 :) Anyway, I don't know if V5.0 would be any good as it may not have the features Norrie needs. I know PSP is up to at least V7.0. I don't use mine for retouching digital photos.

Before we got XP, I found the browse function in PSP to be really usefull. I have quite a few CD's of clip art and the file names are often no use at all in working out what the image is :confused:

Phil Davis

We don't own this world - we've only borrowed it from our children.

I used an evaluation copy of PSP7. All you have to do is uninstall it and then reinstall it. Perhaps they forgot to protect against doing this.

It's not really all that expensive anyway, so it's well worth buying a copy.