Spyware ?

Cranfield

Having heard it was "safe", I downloaded "Morpheus".

My PC was immediately swamped with Spyware.

AdAware and SpyBot removed over 300 items.

I have uninstalled Morpheus and made sure that no trace of it is left.

However, I have 121 Spyware items that reappear every time I boot up the PC.

AdAware describes them as;

IBIS Toolbar...Reg Value (or Reg Key)...Data Miner...HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT etc.

How do I get rid of these permanently, please ?

At the moment I am running AdAware on start up and deleting them.

I am operating XP Home.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Have a look under the 'advanced' spybot options and find out what is loading on startup. Disable any that look suspect but be careful what you do, do. (You can find descriptions for *exe's, dll's etc by just typing in the full name in google, and there will be sites listed ,which tell you what the file is and whether or not it is a system file, spyware etc.)

Those keys are registry key values and you can go to regedit to remove them, oh and check under add/remove programs and find the IBS toolbar and uninstall then go to Program Files and delete any folder and their contents which have this toolbar in them.

Run adware and DELETE any entries found for this crap, don't bother backing them up.

Finally, be careful on what you install from the net. A lot of freebies come with spyware and it really gets on my t*ts. Should be made illegal!

Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

If the junk persists you may have some of the items that spybot & ad-aware cannot deal with at all.

In that case, take a look at the suggestions I posted Here as they apply to your situation as well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thank you gentlemen, having spent most of the day, searching, exploring, deleting, cleaning and rebooting, it appears that I have eliminated them all.

Some were resurrecting themselves, every time I rebooted.

It was like fighting the Triffids.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

it appears that I have eliminated them all.

Are you a betting man? If so, I'll take the 'didn't get them all' position for any sum you might want to hazard.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Freebies and Spyware? That is an annoying practice that thankfully I moved away from some years ago after more crashes than a test dummy. Microsoft were as bad as anyone with their software but as was said above, most of the buggers come with free CD's. Nothing free about being spied on. All 'Free' CD's are now filed under 'B' for bin. Not worth the hassle of having crap imbedded all over your PC.