IP address

kendo

trying to network 2 pc's one has xp pro the other xp home using a network hub we are able to see each other in workgroups but my machine says that I have no IP address and does a search but find's nothing how do I get the ip address? the network hub states that there is a collision?

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

You will I think need to "PING" the one PC from the other! Have a look at the BELKIN site. I bought a couple of wireless items and they weer absolutely superb on support!! I think they also have help on site.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

To get the IP address of the machine you are on (assuming you are running XP):

Windows Key + R (this brings up the Run box dialogue)

Type "cmd" (this opens the command prompt window)

Type "ipconfig" & hit return.

You will see the IP address displayed

Hope this helps

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Guest NickInTheNorth

Hi Kendo

I see from another thread that you are still having problems connecting your 2 pc's.

Here is something you could try.

I'm assuming that both PC's have a network card :)

For each PC go to network connections, select the connection you are using (I think that by default XP creates a connection named "Local Area Connection" on any PC with a network card).

Right click on the connection name and select "Properties". This should open a new window names "Local Area Connection Properties".

The centre of the window should have a section headed "this connection uses the following items", it should include:

Client for Microsoft Networks

File and Printer sharing for microsoft networks

QoS Packet Scheduler

Internet Protocol TCP/IP

If you select the Internet Protocol TCP/IP and then click on properties, you can enter the following items:

select use the following IP address and enter 192.168.1.1 for one machine 192.168.1.2 for the other.

For the subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0 for each PC

You won't need a gateway address or DNS if you are simply trying to get the 2 pc's to communicate with each other.

If you are using the same IP address on each machine then you will not get connected. But you do need to have the same subnet.

When you have done the above click OK then OK

When you have done both PC's then you could try and ping one machine from the other.

On the PC with the 192.168.1.1 address do the following.

From the start menu select Run, type the following

ping 192.168.1.2 -t then click OK

you should get a reply something like

ping 192.168.1.2

Pinging 192.168.3.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=68ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Reply from 192.168.1.2: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

If you still have problems let us know.

HTH

Guest NickInTheNorth

are the cables from both machines to the hub ok, both straight through cables not cross over?

do you have led's lit up on the hub for both cables?