Fuzzy monitor

Peggy Burke

Steve's computer problems continue. Thanks to Newt's help and suggestions from other Forum members (thanks, guys!) some of the problems have now been solved.

However, to-day there was a crackle as though the power supply was momentarily lost and the computer rebooted. This has happened a few times lately.

Now the screen is totally fuzzy and rebooting doesn't help.

Any ideas in the short term? I say short term as it looks like a new machine in the January sales!

[ 25. December 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Peggy Burke ]

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

your screen may need degaussing, there will probably be a button somehwere on the monitor which will lead you to a menu which will offer the option of degaussing

Thanks Jeepster - tried that and no joy. The monitor is several years old as it came with the machine before last as we didn't buy a monitor with the last PC. This is the first problem we've ever had with it - assuming it is the monitor given all the other problems we've had.

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

1.) If by any odd chance your monitor has switched resolution (unlikely) that it doesn't support, then that will cause a blurry screen. This is something that old monitors used to suffer from. Does all look normal size wise ?

If your dot pitch (how may dots & lines your monitor has) is low then it will be blurred above a certain resolution

2.) Your monitor has pooed itself & you need to get a new one (This sounds most likely particularly if you've had a power cut)

Time to invest in a shiny new one I'm afraid.

With monitors, they either work or they don't ...

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

Peggy - see my remarks on your (great idea) thread about replacing the PC. It's old enough that I think you are lots better off getting a new system than replacing parts.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

'Fuzzy monitor'

You have'nt put a speaker or other 'magnetic' thingy on or near the monitor have you?

PS, Monitors dying ! Watch out I had one go up in flames a few years ago (Illywhatsit) as well!!

So although I may leave the PC on unattended I switch the monitor off.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Thanks, Tog. Already tried that but no joy. We've now ordered a new computer from Dell as we're fed up with so many recurrant problems.