F.T.A.O. Newt

kleinboet

Newt, did a run of Spybot and got DSOexploit come up 5 times. Ran the delete items programme and the first 4 disappear immediately. The programme then becomes unresponsive. Sent an unresponsive progamme report to Microsoft and they say that adaware and spybot interfere with each other, which is why the programme becomes unresponsive. Still having problems with Google being overidden by microsoft as my IE homepage, i.e. it comes up "about blank".

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

The 'fix' for this may take a few steps and a little time. I'm willing if you are.

1. Spybot's DSO exploit that shows up, gets fixed, shows up, etc. indicates you have an older version of Spybot. The DSO Exploit is real but harmless and several spybot versions said they dealt with it but did not. Uninstall the version you have now. If you are using any of the protections like Immunize or Tea Timer, disable them before doing the uninstall. Get the latest version from Here, install it, update the virus definitions. Don't run it yet.

2. Not sure why you were told that spybot and ad-aware don't play nice together. They do. Make sure you have downloaded the latest virus def files for ad-aware but don't run it yet.

3. Download Hijackthis v1.99. It comes as a zip file and won't run properly that way. Create a new folder c:hjt and unzip the program to that. Don't run it yet.

4. Open your browser and click on tools, on internet options, and empty your temporary internet files, cookies, and history. Close the browser.

4. Boot to safe mode.

- Delete the contents of all temp folders on your PC (can't give specifics since you don't mention your OS version).

- Empty your recycle bin.

- Run Spybot and let it remove all it finds (or all it can remove).

- Run Ad-aware, full scan, and let it remove all it finds.

- boot back to normal mode.

5. Run Hijackthis. Click the option for Scan & Create Log (or words to that effect). When it finishes, copy the entire contents of the log file and paste it here. Then PM me to say the log is available. DO NOT fix anything with hijackthis.

Here endith part #1 (of at least 3 parts and possibly a good many more).

[ 14. February 2005, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dave - good on ya. The more folks who switch to FireFox (good browser too) the more script kiddies who will turn their attention away from IE to FireFox. Should slow down the hits I think.

The ad-ware/mal-ware/spy-ware folks make money from their product which is why they keep it so updated and hard to stop. Very little profit to be made as of now by targeting the non-IE browser versions but as they gain market share, they will gain attention. ROLL ON FireFox. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Jaffa:

Microsoft will  be number one target for a long time   :P  

Yup. I calls that 'job security'. :D

I used Opera and liked it well. Used NetScrap and liked it not at all (just a personal thing - didn't ever 'feel' right to me).

At this point since I support M$ stuff and my brain isn't as agile as when I was younger, I pretty much have to keep myself using what I'm supporting.

That being said, it isn't too difficult to harden IE if you want to. I run it on XP at home and at work. I spend time surfing to known bad sites to see what sort of attacks they mount so I can help folks get recovered from 'whatever'. My main browsers haven't been hurt in months. I run a virtual version of XP on the PC at home that I leave vulnerable and it does get clobbered but easy enough to destroy and reload it with no harm to my 'real' working PC.

I think I'm gonna have to start just directing folks to a security-oriented web site for this sort of issue though. None of the last two or three folks who asked for help have been able/willing to work through the cleanup process. Waste of their time and mine to even make the attempt.

Newt,

If its any consolation I have learned a hell of a lot from your posts; gone from wide open to as secure as I can be . Thank you.

FWIW i like MS stuff too; it all works well together but for me it seems to have no future. Different for business maybe but I just want out of the whole thing of having to worry about security.

I don't have XP and no way I am going to pay to get it and then pay more to upgrade its security.

Got win 2000 atm and hope to stick to that until the games player has left home :)

In the meantime im dual booting linux and trying to get into that mindset. So far im impressed and think a lot of "normal" internet users would be better off with it.

You checked out any of the recent linux releases?

Monoculture is bad as you implied, thanks to guys like you maybe that message will spread :D

Job security? Newt your bombproof m8 :D

Don't blame you on passing the problems to another site. I visit this site and a few yak sites and everyone seems to be swamped with comp problems, its getting out of hand now.

You have helped me no end though. Cheers, Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Ferret1959
Newt:

None of the last two or three folks who asked for help have been able/willing to work through the cleanup process.  Waste of their time and mine to even make the attempt.

I did try my best but just lost it in the end.

Just not that smart.

Newt

I think your'e a star. I for one have learned tons from reading your replies to others. Like a lot of others I probably wouldn't contact you direct with a problem but would try to learn how to resolve it myself.

Your clear and concise replies have been little nuggets of wisdom, (some may say pearls before swine lol), and have promted me in many ways to resolve problems, and how to prevent them happening in the first place.

Based on your replies to others I changed my routines for dealing with spyware and ad-ware and I'm about to go Firefox.

Dont think because that just because we dont constantly bombard a very busy gentleman like yourself with constant e-mails, that we dont need help, it's just that we, the many computer fiddlers, get our answers from the replies you have made to others with perhaps more serious problems.

I, along with many others, owe you a big thanks. As we say in Scotland, "Lang may yer lum reek)

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk