NYC Dirty Water Fishing

Gillies

Hi

Been in New York the past wee while, took a few walks along Manhattan’s Seaport area, downtown between the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge and there were loads of people fishing.

The water is dark brown as its part of where the Hudson River meets the sea, and also with all the shipping that passes through it – the water is dirty, and I mean “dirty” - how a fish can see/smell a bait I dont know!

Really was fishing for the pleasure of it, I did not see one fish caught by anyone (apart from very very small Wrasse like fish) and tackle and technique used was extremely basic. Sticking chunks of fish on 2 hooks with a lead, casting them on a 6 foot spinning rod loaded with 30 lbs line as far as it would go, and waiting.

Still, there must be fish there if there are so many people fishing, when I’m over next I think I’ll give it a go.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Give a shout before your next trip and I'll try to hook you up with some local anglers who know the area and catch fish.

The tactic you describe is fairly typical for sea shore fishing and quite a bit of shore fresh water fishing. Although lots of the fresh water folk will be using a round red & white "float" that is slightly larger than a golf ball.

[ 16. October 2003, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt, I'll definately be taking you up on that offer some time soon.

I took a train ride up the Hudson from Grand Central to a sleepy wee town called Cold Springs (about an hour out) the waters looked excellent up there for a spot of fishing.

Any ideas what kind of fish can you expect to catch from Brooklyn area up into the Hudson?

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I would guess that they are after striped bass aka stripers. They are found up around the North American coast and hang around in estuaries. Check out http://home.earthlink.net/~fishplumi/ I seem to remember a photo in one of the angling mags of a UK fisherman who had a go off one of the US river bridges and picked up a big striper. If I can find the article then I will put in another note. Anyone who has it to hand please help.

Any ideas what kind of fish can you expect to catch from Brooklyn area up into the Hudson?

No idea at all. Where I live we catch largemouth bass, striped bass and carp where the water is brackish. So Socksy Squirrel could well have nailed it.

The striped bass are interesting though. They do equally well in the sea, brackish water, or totally fresh water. They are now stocked in a large number of landlocked US lakes and thriving/reproducing. They made a nice addition since the niche they fill of pelagic preds was empty prior to their being introduced.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just as interesting as the species caught are the methods in use in New York.

The latest edition of Waterlog describes one.

Basically it is a handline. The line is wound around an empty ring-pull can, which is then set upright on a peg driven into the ground - the peg fitting into the hole out of which the can's contents have been supped.

When fish takes, the can spins round on the peg.

No doubt someone will market it as "The Big Apple Baitrunner"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...