Free Antivirus Software

Elton

Quick question - why do people provide free anti-virus software?

I'm not knocking it (I use it on my laptop!), but there must be a motive. It's not like software that's written once, for fun, and given away. It has to be maintained daily, if not hourly!

So, anyone know why these guys do it?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The free anti-virus software has limitations, & pushing the free version onto the market provides a way to advertise the product & hopefully buy the extras or addons eg:-firewall, network checking, buisiness licences etc, this is where the real money is.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

• 2 weeks later...

Grisoft (who I assume this thread concerns) now have a massive share of what was once Norton, F-secure and Mcafees market. In two or three years they will probably be the biggest player, espeically given the general publics disliking for Norton (even though Dell still bang it on every machine as standard AARRGH).

At that stage they'll hammer the world with a $20 a year subscription fee or something else that small that we pay it without thinking. Tens of millions of $20 per annum adds up to a shitload of cash. Meanwhile business users (who currently pay anyway) keep the company running in the medium term.

Ian W

At work, on our personal laptops, we all run Sygate (Firewall) and Avast (Anti-Virus) together, and have never had any problems whatsoever. Both are free.

Take care,

Garth.

[ 29. September 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]