bass spinning

MarkV

Hi people.

I would like to try a bit of spinning for bass from the beach. Anyone got any good ideas? I used to do quite a lot of lure fishing for pike and I assume I can use similar techniques and the same gear. Am I best using spinners or plugs? If plugs, deep diving floaters or weighted?

I tried for a while on Saturday, using green and orange spinners and a large toby lure but with no success.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Mark

Harris Angling have a lst of what they recommend for Bass here. Worth a look :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Spinning from open beaches for bass is very hit and miss, your better trying a estuary or rock marks. Surface poppers are all the rage, but vary retrival rates, slow works well, bass have even hit static poppers. Kilty catchers may work well on open beaches. Good luck.

Thanks. I thought I would try the harbour entrance as the tide runs in, say 2 hours before high tide and 2 after. Only problem is the speed it runs in/out at. I will let you guys know how I get on. I will give it a try next Tuesday I think

Mark,

Open shore spinning needs a holding feature. I regularly lure fish a sandy/shingle shore near me with great success. However, the best spot is where there are some boulders and a sand - shingle junction. I've had an 8lb bass last year and two 6lbers in one evening last week, along with smaller bass. Go for 32g Kilty Catcher (gold or red) or 28g Toby lures. Both work excellently although the Kilty casts much better.

Best of luck,

Neil.

Hi Mark,

a couple of remarks to add, first if you're trying harbour entrances ( I fish the harbours around Portsmouth ) the first of the flood is often the best time. Secondly dusk and dawn are very much the best times especially the time from first light to sunrise.

Also another good lure is the ABU Terminator (single,not jointed in medium size, although the large one will probably come into it's own as the season progresses)

You do really have to cover as much ground as possible until you find the holding spots but it's very worthwhile when you do.

best of luck

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy people.

Been a couple of times now, Saturday morning was quite likely I hoped, 7 am high tide, fished from 5 to 8:30 with no luck on the spinners/toby's. On the otherhand, couple of nice plaice and a flounder did get brough in, one plaice too small so back it went, the others were very nice thank you very much :)

One question for you, what would be a suitable rig to get minnows out a reasonable way? I just didn't seem to be able to get any great distance, and as the tide rose I needed to cast further to get to the ends of the breakwaters. Any ideas?

mark v, get a Surface Controler,28grm, thread on main line then a bead then swivel. tie lure to a trace, I use a 6ft one,then trace to swivel.this will cast a light lure a long way.and will not tangle up tight lines fishy1

Hi

28 gram Abu Tobys remain my favourite they cast well and are especially good at the end of the summer when the sprats are in, they also catch mackerel/garfish/pollack and last year an allis shad.

Ive tried poppers but to no avail yet but watch out I did catch a very angry herring gull! fortunately for him he was only caught lightly on the bill and I mananged to free him OK! No so good for my thumb which he had a good chew on!

Good luck

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com