XP problems

Peter Sharpe

A friend of mine cannot establish a dial-up connection on XP and is unable to access system restore, even though he has full administative privileges. Is there a virus that can cause this?

[ 14. October 2005, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Not that I know of ... but you never know !

Try a virus scan first .. but possibly at the end of the day you may be loooking at re-installing your dial-up software, or even re-format disc and start with a clean installation !!

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Not that I know of ... but you never know !

Try a virus scan first .. but possibly at the end of the day you may be loooking at re-installing your dial-up software, or even re-format disc and start with a clean installation !!

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Guest jay_con

I believe there is. I had one once that stopped access to system restore.

What anti virus do they run??? try a few different ones.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, but a virus scan has revealed nothing. Everyone who uses the computer has full administrator privileges, yet a message tells them they are not allowed access to system restore.

PC World have told them there is nothing wrong with the modem (yes, I know what you are going to say) and the phone line is definitely okay.

It is a new computer that had been working fine, so it's difficult to know where the problem lies. I think they will just have to return it to the store and prepare themselves for a battle.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Guest jay_con

The fact you cant get to system restore tells a story for me. It has to be some kind of nasty which is clever enough to stop you taking the required action to mend the system.

try more virus checkers. AVG free 7 if you havent already got it.

What service pack is loaded?

What anti-spyware protection?

Anything interesting in the event logs? Errors or warnings?

Are you sure that system restore is turned on? If so, there could be a bad restore point. You might try turning the feature off and back on. This will destroy any existing restore points but it sounds like they are useless.

Open hyperterminal and try using the modem to call a cell phone. This will at least let you know if the thing is dialing out properly.

[ 17. October 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I can't even see the tab that is supposed to be able to turn their system restore back on.

They did have McAfee, but I unistalled it in favour of AVG.

McAfee & AVG are both good with virus protection but neither is any good at all with spyware detection/blocking/removal. Spybot, Ad-aware, Microsoft Antispyware if running IE, all excellent for active protection and removal and spywareblaster is good for passive blocking with nearly 5000 known baddies it will prevent.

For the other, if they have an XP install CD (rather than a restore abomination that some companies supply) then from a start->run line,

sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc) and follow the instructions.

Service pack? Event log messages? ( start->run eventvwr.msc )

Are the other tabs showing up?

an-system-restore-tab.jpg

Can you dial out with hyperterminal and cause the other phone to ring?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President