Spray guns & airbrushes etc.

ayjay

If you have a compressor that fills a tank and you take pressure from the tank, a small compressor should work fine and actually give you more control over the pressure you send to the spray gun.

Harbor Freight is a great source for low cost tools but you have to know going in that it also means they aren't long-life, high quality tools. We have a Northern Tools which is similar and closer to were I live so I do most of my light-duty tool buying from them.

Thanks Newt, the compressor does have a tank, I think I can also regulate the outgoing pressure.

Ceramic glazes are fairly abrasive and wear out spray guns far quicker than paint (or so I'm told) which is why the cheapo's are preferred over more expensive models, it's also not necessary to have the sort of guns required for a professional paint finish as the pots will be taken up to 1200°+C in the kiln and any minor irregularities will smooth out when the glaze melts.

Sounds like you pretty well have it under control then.

Some years ago we (Jan & I) worked with a potter and I'm familiar with the process for making the greenware and the whole kiln process. Unfortunately, I never got a look at the painting/glaze spraying part of his operation and he died so I can't even ask him about it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sounds like you pretty well have it under control then.

Getting closer. :)

I'd still like to know why such a large nozzle is needed; I understand because a smaller one will clog, but why will it clog bearing in mind the mesh size of the sieve?