Where have all the barbel gone?

Guest rabbit

Travelled up to fish the Teme at Eardistone yesterday, on arrival at the car park, no cars!! great I thought got the whole stretch to ourselves, or perhaps it could be that the fishing is so poor. One look at the river suggested the latter, despite midweek rain it was running low and clear..not good omens... and so it proved. It was hard fishing, but still enjoyable, just being there is enough for me, not having boats to upset the peace was a welcome change, such a beautiful place.

I managed just two chub, one of about 4lb, a bonus grayling caught on ledgered corn, and countless minnows. But not a sign of a barbel! I can only think that these fish do move on to other parts after the summer spawning, perhaps someone in this forum can provide some answers.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think we've had enough rain rabbit, but it doesnt stop you trying. Out this evening to see if theres a Kennet fish or two coming my way.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Your right Argyll, if it was that easy we wouldn't do it. The Kennet being a chalk stream will be suffering perhaps more than most, better get your watercraft hat on!!

Re my posting on the dissapearing barbel do you have a theory? Barbel spawn on the oxygenated gravel runs in the early summer, and stay in the area for six weeks or so to recover, and then move to other parts of the river system, well thats what I think, what do you think old wise one??

The Kennet is back on form of late. we managed 2 doubles last Friday. The rain we have had will be excellent in improving sport.

Rabbit is right that the fish will hang around after spawning for a few weeks and then generally return to normal producing areas. In fact this season the process seemed to have last for much longer IMO.

Last week I managed 3 fish of the Teme in an afternoon but up to now they have been in large numbers in one 2 mile area. (A different area)

They will be spreading out now though.

On certain areas of the Loddon sport has been very slown whereas in others excellent.

Another guest managed 4 for a total weight of over 43lb last week and I added another double.

The Thames has been very hard this season, but then the water has been running backwards in most places! Should start to pickup.

From now on if the weather stays mildish, fill your boots!

Graham

'On certain areas of the Loddon sport has been very slown whereas in others excellent'

Graham, I noticed that the EA regularly carry out fish counts on a certain section of the Loddon and this year found 18 barbel on a 100 yard stretch. Is this an abnormally high number for such a small river or is it showing that fish will occasionally congregate in one small area?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Rabbit, I fished Eardiston on the last weekend of the season 2004. The plan was to spend the morning trotting for a grayling or two. I fished the first swim on the stretch, a couple of hundred yards down from the weir. It was fast (ish) and fairly shallow, the perfect spot for grayling. I did manage a couple but surprisingly hooked (and lost) two barbel.......If I`d have been fishing for them that was the last place I`d expect to find them at that time of year.

Its a funny stretch of water, I`ve never really sussed the barbel spots out on it as well as other places on the Teme.

wolf.gif

rabbit:

Re my posting on the dissapearing barbel do you have a theory? Barbel spawn on the oxygenated gravel runs in the early summer, and stay in the area for six weeks or so to recover, and then move to other parts of the river system, well thats what I think, what do you think old wise one??

Rabbit - your question reminds me of a brilliant online article I read a few years ago, all about barbel movements through the year. B#ggered if I can find it now :rolleyes: But there are clues here. It's an academic paper and pretty hard reading, but the table at the bottom is clear enough, especially the "optimum" habitat for adult fish. As the article mentions, adults will happily pass through slow silty regions, but only on their way to more favoured spots.

Anyway, hope this helps.

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Its been my experience (in my limited time fishing) that barbel tend to shoal up.....i've watched at length a group of 3 barbel in the arrow and whilst they do go and "do there own thing" for periods, there are long periods of time when they swim almost side by side and will hover in the current together.

This makes me think that location is more important when barbelling than perhaps with other species (such as carp)...particularly if you are looking for one of these prolific hot spots.

There is a particular peg on the severn where, if you aim at a particular point in the river, its almost impossible not to catch barbel. Last weekend we fished this peg and tossed a coin for who fired left and who fired right.....I lost the toss and got 1 barbel whereas my mate had 12 and 2 chub all in about 4 hours in the evening.

[ 17. October 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Brumagem Phil ]

Gerry.

Fish will congregate for many reasons apart from spawning.

Sometimes they just like to be with friends...

The prevailing water conditions and time of year will generally dicate their swim preferences.

For example....when the river is bringing you your food whilst you sit in your armchair, why bother to run around after it?

Mind you those big girls are lazy and remind me of that old story about the Bull and the young bull in the field. Many a true......

Graham

ps. Not so much chance of you getting that swim again then if you share it out...the chap is going to sue you as well. Shot foot?

[ 17. October 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Graham Elliott ]