Where have all the barbel gone?

Guest rabbit

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from B.PHIL

There is a particular peg on the severn where, if you aim at a particular point in the river, its almost impossible not to catch barbel. Last weekend we fished this peg and tossed a coin for who fired left and who fired right.....I lost the toss and got 1 barbel whereas my mate had 12 and 2 chub all in about 4 hours in the evening.

Why do you think it produces Phil? Perhaps a 'crease', I fish a swim on the W. Avon that has the same chacteristic. While were on the subject do you know any location(s) about the Lower Severn around Tewkesbury that might produce whiskers, don't expect you would broadcast if you do, but perhaps we can come to some arrangement. I respect any angler who puts the time in on any water and I would not expect them to spill the beans as to exact location, but I fear life is too short for me to suss the Severn and have her divulge her hidden treasures. So if anyone can help I would be grateful.

FF

No I don't think so. I used everything I had, including maggots, I did use hallibut pellets mostly to target the barbel, the corn / maggot baits were used on the lighter rod.

Mind you I am not complaining about what I caught a couple of chub to 4lb, and a grayling that was entirely unexpected was a bonus. The amount of the minnows in the river was unbelievable, which made maggot feeder impossible, I was even foul hooking them on the pellet hair rig!

Glen

Thanks for the link to the 'paper' My general impression is that barbel are extremly adaptable fish, ablle to tolerate most river conditions. However as far as spawnng is concerned the need for fast gravel runs is paramount. Seeing large amounts of barbel spawn in June on the Teme was an education.

I understand you are planning a trip to Keynsham? Reminds me of an incident a few years back when I took my then 13 year old son Phillip with his brothers and friends to fish the weir at Keynsham.

There is a narrow ledge that runs by the weir, with a 12 foot or so drop into the river. Phillp was fishing there with us and was soon into a bootlace eel, so pleased was he with his capture he held it up to show us all, and lost his footing and did a 'perfect' feet first dive into the river, he hardly made a splash as he entered the water, he bobbed up a second or so later still clutching his eel and rod. His Drennan cap had not even dilodged off his head. Nifty use of a landing net handle got him to a landing stage.

Guest Brumagem Phil

rabbit......sorry mate, not fished the severn anywhere near that far south. I'd like to but so many fish and so little time!

I've cracked the bream thing though (on lakes) just fish for eels and you are guarenteed sh*t loads of the blighters! Had around 40 over the past 3 evenings.......no eels though :-( To be fair, I have been hedging my bets a bit though as i've been using a korda inline feeder with bread and corn on to attrack the bream with worm on the hook.........bail arm open with a pound coin preventing the line from spooling off the reel and a bait box liid beneath the reel to catch the coin.

[ 18. October 2005, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Brumagem Phil ]

Guest Brumagem Phil

oops sorry rabbit, forgot to address the other half of your question......I think this one swim has some sort of snag that they rather like. I know if I dont cast far enough my gear rarly comes back!!! If I cast over it, the current seem to draw my gear around the back of whatever the snag is.....I could be wrong, but its how my minds eye is interpreting whats going on.

Phil

Thanks for getting back mate, I suppose you you feel no need to come this far south, what Hampton Lode etc on your doorstep. But because the lower severn is where I now live I just have to give it a go. Gotta expect loads of blanks though. There are some biggies down this way, hardly any pressure on the fish as well. Think I will give the pva bags a go, I guess heavy/accurate feeding could work.

Thinking on a bit from my question as to where the barbel have gone. I reckon where there is a decent depth of water the fish will have no reason to move far, and will habitat the same area, both summer and winter. The only time the fish will move is to seek out suitable spawning areas in the spring, returning a few weeks later to their original 'homes'. Do you see this pattern of behaviour on the middle Severn?