Where have all the barbel gone?

Guest rabbit

Guest Brumagem Phil

Some biggies all over the place these days. Only fished for barbel around 15 times and had 3 doubles already, and I know of a 14 lb 2 oz from the same stretch. I'm guessing a bit but it wouldnt surprise me to see a 16 or 17 lber come out before the winter is out.

Often thought about having a bash at bridgnorth or perhaps ironbridge but never got around to it!

Not sure about your spawning ground idea, but I do know that 3 barbel in the arrow have vanished over the summer.......now they've either been eaten by some eastern europeans (I'm being serious as some of the carp have met such a fate) or, if they appear back in the same place next spring, you might be on to something ;-)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil

3 doubles from just 15 sessions!! You must be doing something right. I have a similar number of barbel sessions as you, but have only this season really got down to fishing for them, best to date is 1 double and a few 7 to 9, all from the Avon.

I have never fished Bridgnorth or Ironbridge, I have looked at Bridgnorth, it does look tasty...but your on a banker, so little to challenge the old angling skills eh?

I had a PM from a fellow of this site this week, and he has located a corker of a stretch on the W. Avon, reckons the near double he caught had never seen a hook!! That's the challenge that inspires me, and I reckon there are similar stretches all over the place still to be 'discovered'.

The Arrow and the Teme allow sighting of fish movements, so I would be interested if those three fish show again in the spring. God only knows what goes on in the murky depths of the Lower Severn :confused:

Very concerned about your suggestion about the Eastern Europeans having a taste for 'whiskers' that is a concern if its true, and didn't the Zander originate fron Eastern Europe, and set about munching through all our native stocks of fish?...hmmm

rabbit:

Phil

Very concerned about your suggestion about the Eastern Europeans having a taste for 'whiskers'  

They eat catfood too?... :rolleyes:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...