South Devon

musket

Hi all,

I am new to this site and got here by asking for any info on fishing kayaks. Trolling through old posts has answered most of my queries and wetted my appetite even more. I live near Ivybridge in Devon and wondered if there was anyone local to me who could give me some advice,

Jon

[ 17. June 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: musket ]

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Welcome onboard.

There are a few guys down in Devon, hopefully one will be in touch soon.

Meanwhile any questions please fire away.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Jon

I am in Plymouth (Plympton) so 10mins away, I have an OK Caper Angler, and fish all round Plymouth Sound, Mothecombe, Salcombe and have yet to try loads more spots in our area.

Would be glad to pass on all I have learnt so far or any thoughts I have.

Am going out tomorrow but not made up my mind quite where yet. Had a good session last week end with Red Bream in the Sound, but have just completed my trolley so maybe I'll go elsewhere.

Happy to chat anytime and if you'd like to meet to see my set-up just let me know.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply-isn't the internet great,just what I wanted. I would love to see your set up,I had been thinking of the caper or prowler and wanted to hear a locals opion.

Know all the spots you mentioned and read about your bream earlier.20 years ago I used to catch red bream regulary on baited feathers but girls,beer then family commitments led me away-until now.

Have just got in from fishing the rocks,had 6 pollack on live sandeel-no real size 'though but the pub was good after!

My telephone no. is 892174 or you could e-mail me if you want.Good luck fishing saturday.

look forward to hearing from you.

Jon

[ 18. June 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: musket ]

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Musket,

don't live down there anymore - but all my folks are still (except my sister on the north of Skye!). From Ivybridge your best close launch would be Wonwell. Great spot out there.

I am down a few times a year and will be bringing the yak with me - glad to team up. Yaskalos has been doing pretty well and we hope to team up one day soon too.

For what it is worth I have a Prowler 13. It is longer than the Caper and is lighter to paddle if you need to cover any distance 9more than a mile on a regular basis). The Caper has a carrying capacity equal to the P13 - but being shorter and beamier it requires a bit more effort to paddle. On the up side is (as has been pointed out to me on several occassions!)easier to transport and less room needed to store. About the same weight - as near as damn-it. It really depends on where you intend going and those other factors of storage and transport. Glad to let you try the Prowler when I am down that way - you could compare it to the Caper then for yourself.

I prefer a bit more length to the kayak for ease of paddling and seakeeping - but the Caper is a very good fishing platform, very stable and can handle more sea than you would think for its size.

Welcome aboard :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

For the record Simon, the Caper is very much lighter and easier to carry if you haven't got wheels. :) It's also has a much friendlier name. :D:P

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Jon

Hope you enjoyed looking over my Caper and how I have it set up and hope it helps you make your decision. Also, thamks for the tip about putting some sort of ID on it, just in case we should ever become separated.

Nick

Nice tip Yaskalos/Musket.

I noticed this weekend that they have a serial number scratched on the outside of the hull.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Yaskolas/Simon

Thanks for showing me your caper Yaskolas and don't worry about landing me in it (for any one else reading,my wife took the call from some one at the kayak forum and remarked VERY loudly "I thought you were just toying with the idea!!)

When I get one it's good to know you are so close.

Simon I appreciate your offer to try out your prowler.I know Wonwell and Mothecombe well,I have been doing a lot of shore fishing recently around the corner near Wadham rocks-beautiful scenery and a great place to scatter my ashes!!Let me know when you're coming down next.

This is going to sound daft but I remember a Simon Everett from Yealmpton-I bought a moped from him(LCO 490R)25 years ago.That wasn't you was it?

Musket - with my dodgy bike dealings in the past I'm damned if I am going to own up to it :D

I didn't live in Yealmpton - Newton Ferrers was our home port, on Court Wood Road along from the Yealm Hotel.

I don't recognise that reg number - what was the bike? Oh, hang on, 25 years ago, R reg, thats a 1976 bike, was it a Fizzie by any chance?

See you somewhen.

Simon

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo