Jaffa

Great Photo's, obviously not as well written as:

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/Kayak%20Rescue.html

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Excellent guys thanks for the links, some people could really use the information and some common sense.

Todays news

Canoeist rescued off north coast

The fire and rescued service pulled a canoeist out of the sea this morning.

Three people set out to witness the summer solstice sunrise but they got into trouble in heavy seas off the north coast.

One man capsized several times and was eventually unable to get back into his canoe. He was only wearing a pair of tracksuit bottoms.

The Fire and Rescue service praised his colleagues for raising the alarm, but have issued a warning about wearing proper cold water protection even in the summer.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

I wonder where they were off the North Coast?

That whole area is pretty treacherous when you get out of the bays.

There are very fast currents between Greve de Lecq and the Paternosters and parts of the Plemont Trench go down to 50 metres.

There are warnings on the sea charts for that area to beware of large waves coming in from fast ferries as well.

This was not a yakker http://www.thisisjersey.co.uk/news/news6.html but you would have to be a strong paddler to go against some of those currents.

I suppose it will only be a matter of time before the Evening Post will have a 'Canoist missing, feared drowned' headline

Making people aware of the dangers is the first step to avoiding any problems, this should be part of the advise given by the reseller.

I'm sure that there is a message on safety attached to Ocean Kayak models included with the documentation. I'll take a look when I get home.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Sadly Jersey has the perfect recipe for accidents like this.

The island is small; nine by five miles so you are never far from the sea. Islanders have a fair amount of disposable income, in the case of some merchant bankers, lawyers etc insane amounts, so boats, yaks, jet skis etc are bought as summer play things by people who do not have the time or inclination to learn much about them or the sea.

Sea charts, GPS, VHF, life jackets are not usually purchased at the same time.

We have lovely hot summers in a good year so the sea is really tempting.

There are a lot of people in the island who are here on short term contracts, they may not know about or appreciate the tidal range or currents around the island.

People do get cut off on rocks or get into trouble on the causeways connecting Elizabeth castle, St Aubins Fort and Corbiere lighthouse to the island, sadly some of them drown.

There were two young men down on Greve de Lecq beach a few weeks ago taking it in turns to paddle around in a yak while the other threw pebbles at him.

[ 21. June 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

Hiya Socksy, well said mate thats exactly the mindset some people have over here, and as Starvin rightly says the shops should strongly advise on safety gear to the buyer, sadly three Yaks later I was never asked and people I know that have bought Yaks since on my recomendation havent been offererd or given advice either, yes I know the OK's come with a small pampflet but to be honest I dont think a lot of people read them, i'ts a bit like instructions ya dont read em till ya get stuck.

As has been said before, I'ts just a matter of time..........

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

I've just torn myself away from my site(s) to get here (at last) and I must say that blaming or holding the "reseller" to fault if anything goes wrong is not the way to go!

If your going to buy a Kayak to fish from then you must've already realised the dangers in store IMHO

Chances are you'll have already been a shore Angler but want that extra as we all do, so u know the dangers already!

For me it's down to the individual as to how they kit themselves out prior to a trip out & any retailer would be committing themselves to financial suicide if they were to offer help on doing that as you may guess!

I bought my yak knowing I'd be risking my life in the sea and I think thats a good point of view to follow. How many go out on a choppy sea not wearing a helmet ? There's a thought, LOL getting a 40+lb of plastic tw*tted off your head is not nice believe me (going by experience)

My point is that we as individuals need to heed the warnings in sites like this & mine and make safety issue #1

Blaming a retailer or manufacturer is no good to your beloved if your fish food!

Andy, I think you have missed the point - possibly ambiguous how it has been said - let's have another try:

Dealers are, indeed, committing financial suicide BY NOT POINTING OUT SAFETY ISSUES. There is a perfect opportunity for the dealer to add value to the sale of the kayak by giving some general advice - not specific - and pointing out that it would be wise to a) wear a lifejacket/buoyancy aid - and here we have a selection for you to choose from sir/madam.

B) clothing is an important consideration - have you seen our range of suitable ......

c) books - kayaking is great fun, but you need to know what you are doing if you are to stay out of trouble. We have a range of books which provide excellent guidlines on how to approach kayaking from beginners manuals right through to advanced sea kayak touring. We shall be happy to "do a deal" on a complete package, sir/madam.

That kind of approach, to just sow the seed of safety consciousness, is a big step in the right direction and the dealer benefits from extra sales.

More specific advice can be gleaned from various sources - here, anglersafloat, and the new one that I don't know how to find - because I am a numpty - so can't mention it.

Unfortunately, many/most of the whole boating newcomer society are indifferent - at best - and downright arrogant, at worst over both safety concerns AND nautical etiquette. How many times have you had a powerful motor boat go by 50 yards off throwing up a huge wash with no concern for the havoc they are wreking - or the danger they are causing? The worst part about it is they are totally ignorant of what they have done!

When I was growing up I (and every other kid in a boat)was taught that having sighted a small boat to slow down so as to create little wash AND give the small boat a wide berth. Nowadays the mentality is the bigger, more powerful your boat the more right of way one has and the "plebs" shouldn't be there - just like cars on the road, it is an extension of the big car syndrome. Have you noticed just how difficult the indicator switch is to get at on BMWs and Lexus' et al - it must be, because they NEVER use them.

Anyway, I think the dealers are the first line of defence in POINTING OUT safety issues.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Ok in my defence your honour, I wasn't solely blaming resellers, and I wasnt suggesting just Kayak anglers but kayakers in general.

Yes there are going to be anglers that want that little bit more and therefore go out and get a Yak, and generally, obviously depending on there age group will already be familiar with the sea and it's traits to some extent.

You then have the first timers, go in buy a yak because there mates got one or they've seen someone else with one strap on top of the car and before you know it their in the water splashing around having fun, wanting to do more and then realising hey I could fish from this and I should know, it was me once.

Not everyone is going to make here or your site or or any boating magazine their first stop before buying a yak and therefore their first port of call will be the reseller.

Surely it is advantages to both parties that there and then is where the first bit of safety advice should be given yes it may not be taken but some people you just cant help, i'm not just taking about kit but advice on local waters also.

Common sense despite i'ts name is far from common.

Enjoy the sport and live to enjoy the sport.

Now if ya dont mind I got some fish to fry.

[ 23. June 2005, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15