New kayaks

syrphus

Hi Syrphus,

not many fibreglass models out there amongst us. Not because they are no good for the purpose, simply because the new plastic navy of sit-on-tops are easy to use, cheaper to buy and less fragile over the rocks. They are not as fast obviously as some of the sleak Fibreglass offerings. But this has to be weighed against the flexibility of the average sit-on-top designs and the ease of modification to a fishing specific vessel.

Horses for courses, but if you've got a favourite fibreglass there's no need to dump it for one of the new breed. As long as you're out on the water enjoying your fishing, that's what matters. Although you may find in the end you want to add a few modifications which would be easier on the new plastic models.

Tightlines, Art :D

Hi Syrphus - you will have to be careful with a name like that - very easy to confuse with...no I'd better not.

If you are interested in grp then there is a very good South African offering - custom built, GRP, sit on top with twin bulkheads. Have a look at www.kayak.co.za Kaskazi kayaks. They do a Pelican and a Dorado. Both are capable tourers and fishing models but the Dorado has a very clever fish hatch between your legs. The fishbox system adds about 12lbs to the overall weight though.

Let us know what you think - I've got a Dorado in build at the moment. Should be being shipped out from Cape Town on July 12th. About £520.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

How interesting, thanks guys.

Ive got 4 kayaks, 2 about 25 years old and the other two not sure, but i certainly paid less than £100 ea. Ones a double the others are all k9s i think. The k9s i am not happy about sea fishing from but the double is just great. Was out last week and got a nice cod.

Mind you i am in Norway at the mo and picked up a good open 16 foot boat as few days ago, so i guess ive got the best of all worlds - lousy weather here.

The kayaks look great and ill bet are a treat to use, just right for stowing in a garage loft etc, solid as a rock and in no danger from sinking when striking an obstacle at sea.

Cheers