Swanage & Durlston Bay - 11th July 2005

SpeciMan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty little fish bream, the one I caught last week fought better than the local bass on my light tackle.

Let us know how you get on with the flyrod.

SM:)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I don't know. What's the matter with you lot. I drove over Friday pm, got to the B&B (lap of luxury with management in tow), eventually got to bed about 11.30, set alarm for 03.30 and was fishing on Sat morning by just after 4. Fished until 07.30 and then went back for breakfast and time to meet Nifty on the beach at 09.30. Stayed out until about 5.30 then had BBQ en masse. Mackerel, bream, burgers, suasages - we fed like fighting cocks. Couple of beers, packed up about 10ish and set alarm for 04.00 - tide being later I could have a lie in! Met Nifty back on the river launch at about 10 - ony he had already gone out 'cause I was late packing the car and everything. A pretty normal, relaxing weekend really.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

ZZippy and Specimen.

Sorry guys, cant pat you on the back like the rest of the guys.

What you did was foolhardy.

Its a known trouble spot for boats, never mind Kayaks !!

Specimen,

several times you have said you tire easily through health condition.

Pick your fishing venues more carfully, and the conditions.

You could have been a liability to ZZippy out there.

Both of you need more time on the water and in the kayaks before getting too excited.

Now this post will go down like a lead balloon, but unless more of you are honest with each other, and say it as it is, we are going to loose somone.

Never mind the popularity polls, wise up, and speak up.

Some of you guys that have been around a bit longer need to start speaking out too, do not praise and commend stupidity.

I'm obviously going to diasgree with you on this Bill.

Zzippy and I sort advice from Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club before setting out on this trip.

For us and for many of the small boats out on that day (and the day before) the tides were out by a long shot.

I do pick my fishing venues carefully.

We do not get too excited.

I said my trip as it was and I feel my post will benefit others who are thinking of fishing in this area.

Popularity polls? - Bill what are you talking about, "speak your mind" and be specific.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Specimen.

You sought advice? I can imagine the replies you got from the more experienced boat handlers.

At one point you say the tide was too strong and you had to anchor up, for a rest, was this not warning enough to quit.

You tried to paddle back to Swanage bay, and was met by more strong waters and whirlpools, did you listen to the advice you sought??

Not much research done, if you had done your homework properly, you wouldnt have chanced it.

Bravado...Nothing more.

In the next breath you say you may go back there, but your not sure about ZZippy, does that mean your going back ALONE ??

Your post to other readers should be.....DONT BOTHER fishing it, its too dangerous.

There, thats speaking my mind and being specific.

Sorry Spec, had to be said.

Yakity you are passing opinion and making strong statements on something but you don't know all the facts.

..and now I have to dissect the trip for clarity ):

We stopped for a rest because Zzippy was getting tired not because I was. He suggested we anchor up and I agreed. He'd been out on the water several hours before I arrived. Zzippy is a big boy too and can make up his own mind when it comes to safety and personal limits.

I know my limits, I have ME and if I over exert I pay for it afterwards hence I turned up later on this occassion.

I didn't say I was not sure about Zzippy not fishing there again I said I can't speak for Zzippy.

By this I meant I didn't know if Zzippy would fish there again I don't want to speak on his behalf... nothing more nothing less.(this is getting tedious )

I would go back there it is a question of passing over Peveril Point at slack water or lifting the kayak over the wall there.

As I said the tides were out that day and we did listen to the advice sort.

As I also said there are plenty of sea kayakers who pass through this area.

I suggest you put a post up in the Sea and Surf section of the forum at UK Rivers Guide Book advising people not to paddle through this fascinating area of jurassic coastline. I'd love to see the reaction such a post would get.

If you reread my previous post I was asking you to be specific about the 'popularity polls' comment you made.

[ 20. July 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Specimen.

You can dissect your story all you want,you dropped a bad clanger.

I made my comments looking at the information you first supplied.

As for other Kayakers being in the area, I expect the guys you saw were in Sea/touring Kayaks, and had the experience and knowledge to use them, and knowlage of the area too.

Christ, you only got the Yak and did your sea trials a few months back, and here you are fishing open water that is known to be difficult, and dangerous.

My comment on the Popularity Polls is directed at the Founder members of the Kayak Fishing birth, on Anglers Net.

Examples of bad judgement such as this, need to be pulled up, it may save your life Specimen, may sting a bit, but better than loosing your life.

To heap praise and compliments on this type of incident is folly.

Founder members,dont sit on the fence, and be worried about upseting people with honest and deserved criticism, if you see one of the guys going a little astray, pull them up, or loose them to the sea.

There is nothing personal meant with this post Specimen, just dont want to see you go tits up big style, take your time.

Yakity.

Well I just had to hop down from the fence.

Having fished with Speciman, I've got to say the guy takes his safety very seriously, he's well equipped for an emergency and appears to know his limits and has become a skilled paddler.

If only a few more kayakers were as well prepared as Speciman, how many carry a VHF, or personal flares, diving knives to cut an anchor lines when in trouble, well I could name a few that don't.

I understand that yes they got into trouble, but they had done their homework, and they both dealt with the problems they encountered and made the right choices to get themselves out of trouble.

I don't want to see any unnecessary accidents or deaths. But some of us will push the envelope as in any sport and with out this the sport will not develop and people will not learn.

Speciman's posting will alert others to the many dangers along the jurassic coastline and hopefully others will take care and prepare.

That's all I have to say on the matter. So let's all go fishing. :)

SM :)

[ 28. July 2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Starvinmarvin ]

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Starvinmarvin,

Hope you didnt hurt yourself getting off the fence at last.

You can have all the safety kit there is available to you.

But the safety kit is usless without common sense being applied.

As for your comment about pushing the envelope,that is a ridiculous statement, some of these guys have only been on the water a few months, break that down into actual time on the water, and it dosnt look so good, does it ?

Yes people do push the boundries in most sports, but they are practiced and knowlegable athletes, not a group who are still VERY green.

This dosnt just allpy to Specimen and ZZippy, it applies to us all, including YOU and ME.

How the hell you can you class him as a skilled paddler at this stage of the game beggers belife.

Some of us are getting a little too cavalier and over confident.

But as you flippantly say.......lets go fishing:rolleyes:

Yakity.