Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club - Open Competitions

SpeciMan

I've been in touch with PBSBAC about kayaks being allowed to fish in the Poole Open Boat Fishing Competition, Sunday 27th Nov.

Due to safety reasons they have a minimum 2 anglers per boat rule. Having heard back from them today it's looking good that 2man yaks will be allowed. They will be discussing kayak fishing entrants (tandems and individuals) at the next sub committee meeting (15th Sept) and will get back to me about this.

Inline with the way some kayak fishing tournaments are run in the States, I suggested that there should be a list of safety equipment that all kayak angling entrants must have. I've offered to help them with such a list. Hopefully if it gets to that stage we can all agree a list I can put forward to them? Shouldn't be too hard :)

[ 06. September 2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome to him - he always catches any fish within casting range and seems to be able to stop the others from biting until his hook is back in the water!

I want someone totally inept and as bad an angler as possible with me - I might stand a chance then :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Not sure how to take that, but I'm up for anything as long as you wear protection. :D:D:D

Speciman, if you want to pinch my safety sheet off AnglersAfloat, or if you want to me to make some adjustments and send to you just ask.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

So it should be the scandinavians are very hot on protection.........so I am told. :D:D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

The PBSBAC sub committee had a meeting last night and kayak fishing in the comp was given a good airing. Unfortunately kayakers will not be allowed to take part this year for a number of reasons: insurance questions, lack of knowledge about safety issues and lack of time to implement them.

Its not all bad news though as they are keen to find out how kayakers can be integrated into the club and will also review their decision for next years competition; they will need input from kayakers on this. They have invited me and another kayaker to a committee meeting at a later date to discuss these issues.

I recently became a member of PBSBAC (the only kayak fisherman member) and feel that they have a lot to offer kayak fisherman (particulary if you are based/fish around the central southern coast). I come across PBSBAC club members when I'm out in Poole bay, Christchurch bay or Poole Harbour & a number regulary fish the solent region. Theres added security knowing that a fellow member can be hailed over VHF should you run into difficulty. They have an active friendly forum, http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/forum/ and run social events and fishing trips throughout the year. The club also raises money for charity.

Although at present kayakers can't fish their open and club comps you can still 'freelance' and submit entries for a fish of the month award/prize. Also members often require crew for their boats so there is the possibly of trips out. Membership is £12 per year.

Anyway I guess we will all be disappointed with decision but I understand the reasons and hope that we will be allowed in for next year.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

oops submitted twice.

Big thanks to Starvin for having his website up and running so I could point the committee members to the safety list and to Simon for agreeing to do a feature on the comp for BFM if given the go ahead.

Only a few months till the www.anglersafloat.co.uk Winter Species Hunt - my thermal pants are in the post :)

[ 16. September 2005, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow