Fly fishing from Yak. Mk II

Simon Everett

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'll change once they start catching more and bigger than you and the conclaves are organised offshore... :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Terry,

my gear is a 9'6" Loomis GLX in 8 weight, but I have loaded it with a 9 weight Cortland 444SL Ghost Tip - this is a floating line with 15 feet of clear intermediate. It is perfect for fishing all but the shallowest of waters. It is a bit too deep if you use a weighted clouser in the shallows - so the secret is not to and use a deceiver or half-and-half instead.

My reel is an old Hardy Ultralite Disc 8/9. It is fully anodised and gets washed thoroughly each time I go out - I even keep a 5 litre tub of fresh water in the car if rinsing is going to be an issue. It is quite powerful enough for salt fishing in the UK - takes the 9 weight and a good 150 yards of (in my case 50lb braid) backing.

You can buy proper salt gear - but the reel was £50 used and you cannot get that quality new for that money.

With regard to distance. I am not an accomplished caster by any means, but I can easily put out a 25 yard line sat like that - which is quite far enough from the kayak. Most fish can be targeted with a 20 yard cast very successfully. You could even go down to a 6 weight in favourable wind and still fish for the bass with the #4 clouser or a light deceiver - I think the 2/0 might overpower my little 6 weight but i'll give it a go and tell you.

Hope that helps.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

MJB, what is your fear? Until you actually sit on one you cannot realise how stable they are. Let me ask you a question: do you ride a bicycle? Riding a bike is far more difficult than paddling a sit-on-top.

What you must realise is that the narrow, low kayaks are very much more stable than the high, wide ones - especially in a wave. In the Dorado I am actually sat just below the waterline - similarly the Scupper Pro. To turn over you have got to raise the centre of gravity to above the waterline, that is a LONG way over! Like banking a bike round a corner, you can lean the kayak into turns. Just have a play on one for an hour without fishing. You might like it.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon,

I used to fall off my bike too :D

Seriously, it's not a fear, I just don't feel confident in small boats. It may be to do with the fact that to add to the current size guide of Barra and Cap'ns Organ I make Mike look small! It also doesn't help that I'm a non-swimmer.