what fish are going to be out there???

terry1956

Hi, well I am taking the step and buying a kayak, having just moved down to exmouth and finding that having a large boat is a pain to own here, I think and hope that a kayak will answer all points, ie make me a bit fitter with all that paddling and 2nd get me out to those fish, I can,t cast for toffee,lols. So whats going to be out there around the estary for me to have a go at??? any ideas, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Terry, Yakity Yak is your man - he also lives and yaks in Exmouth.

I used to - used to play for Withycombe (full back mainly, but also filled in for John Jackson at Scrum half) - go and have a pint in the bar for me.

Up the estuary there are flounders - BIG flounders. My best was just over 4lbs - it came from beside the old wreck at Starcross. Peeler crab is the must bait. There is a crab getter over at Starcross, don't raid his gutters, but you might be able to buy some crabs off him as he gathers them. That whole Starcross side is good flounder territory.

Off the lifeboat house - from Lifeboat to no 10 buoy used to be a favourite drift for bass, but it is a nursery area now. It is fine for you to fish there, but ALL bass MUST be returned regardless of size because of the nursery area status - the local fishery guys are quite hot on it too.

Round the corner towards Ladram Bay you can also get bass, fish by the rocky ground, close in - and I mean CLOSE in - you will find bass in the white water around rocks. Ballans off the rocky point where the seafront runs out. Good launch there too.

No doubt YY will fill you in with greater detail.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks for that Simon, The bass will be going home now the waters getting colder, where is a good spot for winter fish. I have seen Yakity Yak amd yes he is a good man and knows his stuff. Nowever all information from all the forum is useful to build up a picture, I realy don,t like the idea of cutting up crabs for bait, and would like to use lures etc, Its a bit late for fly, so what is open to me??? terry

Hi Terry,

Had a trip out with Yakity last summer, you've got a great playground and plenty of places to chuck some lures, like Simon says I'm sure he will fill you in with some details.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Terry ,

Hate to disagree , but its far from being to late for the fly here in Exmouth.You have the best month to come . Better size bass for sure, also the estuary can be full of monster mackerel at times,great fun on fly gear.

The sea temp tends to remain very warm through October, as I’m sure Yakity an x diver will agree. However, constant south west gales do tend to spoil the party when it comes to lure fishing.

Don't forget, as Simon points out, the exe has nursery area status.

Chuggs.

Thanks for that, I always return what I catch, hopefully they will fight another day, You can just tell that I am from up north a bit can,t you, anyway hope to pick up all the gear by the weekend or even today if B&Q show up with my kitchen worktops. terry

Bill, I don,t have your tel number, the dogs had it, who would have pugs they think anything paper is a toy to chew up,lols

my tel number is 263366, i am around this weekend bar saturday. terry