Fish box full of bass

Socksy Squirrel

I have just watched the first episode of Beyond River Cottage and although I have a lot of sympathy for HFW and his ideas the fish box full of bass left me cold.

The fish were dumped in the box and left to die as far as I could see. Maybe C4 felt that it would be too traumatic for the viewers to see a fish being killed.

But Hugh had his arm up the bottom of a cow in the same episode.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Socksy.

Just as I found Hugh entertaining, he has to go and drop a brick?

I like his thoughts on scavenging river banks for herbs and veg`. Grow your own sausuages etc.

But this episode, with. "The fish are there! Grab as many as you can", attitude, has firmly put him back in my estimation. Middle class hippy plonker, would not go amiss?

Strange, when you think about it. Even second rate soap stars make a very good living. How comes, the `Be all, and end all of the programme", wishes us all to believe he drives a battered old wreck? He has to barter pork, tomatoes, eggs etc to obtain the odd jar of cider.

I think he`s pulling someones plonker.

But then again. Maybe some folk think he actually sits in front of the fire, listening to the radio by candle light?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Didn't see this, but surely every fish Joe Public buys in a supermarket dies in a similar way?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I find it odd that the 'anti' brigade would like to portray us as barbaric, yet it's them who think it's okay for fish to suffocate.

[ 22. October 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Elton ]

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Elton.

I`ve no objection to folk fishing for, killing and eating bass.

I just hate Hughs views on self-suffiency. If its there, use it.

This is the second programme, where he`s spouted about the bass available from the Dorset coast. He`s also pointed divers towards plundering the spider crabs?

His first programme on bass fishing from Portland, was snorkeling off the ledges with a spear gun!! Ask any local. Jim where are you? This is not the sort of fishing you advertise on national TV. When the tide starts racing round Portland Bill, it`s best not to be in the water!

Dear Hugh portrays himself as a duffer. Full, of good intent, being advised by knowledgeable locals?

His programmes should all have a `Health warning`. `Don`t try this yourself`. This programme was made with thousands of pounds worth of backup.

Hi Paul,

Wasn't commenting on the programme, as I haven't seen it, but I recognise and respect your sentiments.

Perhaps I missed the point, but I was commenting on the 'way fish are killed' aspect of this thread.

Seems to me that sea anglers are the only ones who care that they should die quickly.

All the best,

Elton

Elton.

Last month, I smashed a freshly caught mackerals head against the edge of the fish box.

Some of the crew were nearly sick. As the skipper had just congratulated on catching fresh bait, I wondered what the problem was?

One guy stated that the `sound` was sickening.

When I asked if he`d rather me fillet the fish `alive`, no further mention was made of me killing fish.

`Killing` is something that`s always bothered me. Should I hold sway over another entities life.

I`ve come to the conclusion, that killing for a life sustaining purpose (ie fishing for the table), is preferable to causing suffering (ie slowly suffocating in a net). Purely for financial gain.

I, ALWAYS kill fish. Unless I don`t intend them for the table or bait. So most of my captures go back, in the best condition I can manage.

We`re not at odds Elton. Just looking from different angles.