Help on finding ponds ?

Joshdalr

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net. Can't help with water close to you but did want to say we are glad you joined and I imagine there will be some who can help you with fishing in your area.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 3 weeks later...

where abouts in cumbria are you?

I visted my cousin up there and we had a great days tench fishing on Whins pond....

This site is about the best for finding fishing in the westmoreland area

http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net/component/option,com_mtree/Itemid,8/link_id,90/task,viewlink/

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Hello Trogg long time no hear!How are you?

Josh it might be worth having a word with Emma 2 on this site she lives up that way and knows the area well

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I haven't fished all the ponds in Cumbria, but am happy to give you my views on the ones that I have.

Whins pond has already been mentioned, it is quite easy to find, take the A686 From Penrith to Langwathby and look out for the signpost on the right.

I have seen good carp and tench caught, I started novices there, you can catch small roach and skimmers 'one a chuck' all day long. My eldest grandson loves the place, and has had bream to 7lbs and several eels between 5 and 6lbs. Day tickets from the farmhouse up the track past the pond.

Those who appear to be regulars there use poles and the usual sorts of carp tackle rigs. I have enjoyed using wagglers, with maggot. bread, worm and sweetcorn.

Eilbeck fishery pond at Brigham near Cockermouth is a small commercial well established, some, me included find it hard work. there are some good carp, bream and chub, there are supposed to be tench but I have never seen one nor spoken with anyone who has. Usual commercial type methods and baits. I have had the best success the on the waggler early mornings in high summer with lobworms and bread. It can be very hard going, and if you want a 'bagging' session, don't bother. The owner/manager is a nice fellow.

Carlton hill fishery.

http://www.carletonhillfishery.com/

Just south of Carlisle, day ticket water. I only ever fished it during the winter and found it slow and hard work for carp, I did manage some roach, small perch and skimmers on the pole. Part of it is floodlit and those who know what they are doing can do well on winters night. It has the best stocked fishing tackle shop in the county.

Crofton Lake

http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net/component/option,com_mtree/Itemid,8/link_id,104/task,viewlink/

Another one near Carlisle, limited day tickets from Carlisle angling association. You can catch Tench there as well as lots of other coarse fish.

Brayton Pond

Claims to have only original wild carp. It looks pleasant enough, and isn't especially difficult to fish. However I wouldn't give the management there the satisfaction of taking my money. I found the manager foul mouthed and belligerent , I saw him throw (not physically) a disabled anger because he overheard a conversation about the continentals eating fish. I wouldn't fish there if I was paid to.

Mockerkin tarn and Mirehouse ponds

Controlled by Haig Angling club. You have to be a member, I fish the former for pike and see carp anglers on there too, there is supposed to be tench in it but I haven't spoken to anyone who has caught them, there are good bream. The Mirehouse ponds have them, but it seems to be that carp are the main quarry

https://sites.google.com/site/haiganglingclub/

Cumbria is a large county, there are lots of waters in the southern half controlled by . Windermere,Ambleside & District AA I don't venture to that part of the county except to pike fish the large lakes, so I can't comment on their ponds. Why not try to bigger lakes? you can find some very good perch, pike and roach fishing.

• Like 1
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"