'ringers' Soft Hook Pellet

Loudyboy

Hi all,

Just wanted to make a comment on these.

I'm fairly new to using pellet on the hook and have been trying varying brands (yet to find one I truely like). Tried using the 'Ringers' soft hook pellets and have to say I was very disappointed. After paying £2.99 for a small tub, at the least I expected them to be stiff enough to stay on a hook!

I tried all ways of hooking them and none of them stayed on the hook, even when simply dropped in the water!

Anyone else had the same problem/experience with them?

Anyone recommend a brand of soft pellet that will do the job I want it to?

I guess I hope this topic will help other buyers make an informed decision before parting with cash ;)

It is better to buy the dry expander pellets and prepare them youself with a pump, then you can controll the amount of water added and soaking time. Ringers are as good as anything, or VDE, and Omega pond pellets(very cheap to buy ;) ) and you can get them from the pet shop. They do have a grain running along the pellet and need to be hooked on sideway.

They are all ok if done in this way, and you shouldn't have any problems with them falling apart.

i used them hooker pellets there was no way they could be put on the hook they were way too soft. i dont know if i just got a bad tub but if i did it seems like a lot of bad tubs are going around

Nick, that was the next thing for me to try, thanks for taking the time to describe the process.

It's good to know it's not just mean who's had this problem. Even if it's just the odd 'duff' tub, I'm not gonna keep spending £3 to enter a 'soft pellet lottery'...don't these companies believe in quality control?

I'm gonna give the expander route a go and see what happens. Thanks all :)

forgot to add if you want a cheap pellet pump have a look here ;)

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30409

or here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/yourstore/pym/r...8663412-3907854

These are the sort I use.

Another good tip is if you want to toughen the pellets up freeze them for at least 48 hours, this is usefull if you fish them on the waggler.

Thanks very much for the advice, Nick :)

Saw the exact same pump (on the maggotdrowners forum) in Angling Direct for £15, so clearly a good buy :) I'll def. give this a shot :)

On the subject of freezing soft pellet...I've tried this too, and I've found there's very little in between them being to hard, then being too soft...I'll give up on 'em and go for pumping expanders, cheers!

I used some a while back, different company i think, they came in a gold sealed bag, something jelly pellets they were called, the shop i got them from had a couple of packs on trial.

I used them on a waggler at a place thats normaly a small fish a cast and they were crap, i thought maybe they were for pole anglers fishing size 18 hooks and up.

I tried them on a size 12 hair, fished with a pva bag of 4mill halibut pellets and they were in a league of thier own, taking carp upto about 12lb, i think because they were light they shot into any fish sucking up the halibut pellets gob.

If they did them in bulk bags i would go as far as using them on a method.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image