Home Made Grapnal Anchor.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Folks.

A while back we were talking about Anchors, the different types, and thier uses, and costs.

I have made up this Grapnal Anchor.

Fishing over rough ground as we sometimes do, we are bound to get an anchor stuck fast.

This anchor....( I hope :D ) will be easy to retrieve, a good steady pull on the cord should bend the wires straight and dislodge the anchor, if it gets stuck.

Bend them back again, and your ready for the off again.

All you need 6inch length of 1 inch copper pipe.

"2x lengths of wire from good old B&Q.

Some lead.

Easy to see how its put together.

I will stand the Anchor in a bucket of DRY sand..( Be VERY SURE it is DRY. ) and fill the tube with moulten lead.

Remember, when working with lead to be extra carefull.

Lead gives off poisonous fumes when hot.

Wear gloves and goggles, and an apron if you have one.

Long sleeves too.

Heres the pics.........

Hope its usefull. :)

Forgot to say.

Reckon itll wiegh about 2/3 lbs when full.......ideal.

post-4885-1129983727_thumb.jpg

post-4885-1129983801_thumb.jpg

post-4885-1129983821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Folks.

A while back we were talking about Anchors, the different types, and thier uses, and costs.

I have made up this Grapnal Anchor.

Fishing over rough ground as we sometimes do, we are bound to get an anchor stuck fast.

This anchor....( I hope :D ) will be easy to retrieve, a good steady pull on the cord should bend the wires straight and dislodge the anchor, if it gets stuck.

Bend them back again, and your ready for the off again.

All you need 6inch length of 1 inch copper pipe.

"2x lengths of wire from good old B&Q.

Some lead.

Easy to see how its put together.

I will stand the Anchor in a bucket of DRY sand..( Be VERY SURE it is DRY. ) and fill the tube with moulten lead.

Remember, when working with lead to be extra carefull.

Lead gives off poisonous fumes when hot.

Wear gloves and goggles, and an apron if you have one.

Long sleeves too.

Heres the pics.........

Hope its usefull. :)

Forgot to say.

Reckon itll wiegh about 2/3 lbs when full.......ideal.

GREAT IDEA .WELL DONE

Cheers Zebra. :)

Hi Yakity, it's a nice little reef pick that can be improved just a bit if you wish to do so. If you put in a loop between the tines, (it will face downwards when you hold the anchor), attach the rope to that, run it along the stock to the top loop and then just clinch it to that with a bit of sisal or the like. Then if it does snag in too tightly, the sisal will snap as you put in the effort and then you are dragging the anchor out in reverse. It's a method I used on bith my reef pick and my Danforth on my boat. Works a treat too!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Hiya Chevin.

Thanks for the tip mate.

I know exactly what you mean, used to use the same idea on my boat anchors too.

At least with this little jobby, you have more of a chance of retrieving if stuck.

If I start loosing a few, then Ill be adding the loop :D

Thanks again mate.

YY :)

OK. not a problem. Actually I should thank you, because you have given me an idea for another type of anchor for use on kayaks. I must get onto the drawing board! <_<

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Well Im glad you have gained some inspiration from it :D;) ......I will be interested to see your idea.

Get to that drawing boared while its fresh in your mind :blink:

YY :)

The idea is forming well. I think that a prototype might be under way shortly. I will keep you informed.

B)