Lead Moulds

Martin Salisbury

Hi can anybody point me in the direction of some lead moulds for 1oz-3oz weights.

I've found a few on the internet but they don't cover the range I want or are for larger weights. I don't want to be forking out for x2 lead moulds if I can help it.

Regards,

Martin

I bought mine from my local tackle shop, I think its a DC mould.

Cost me about £18 and makes 2,2.5,3 and 4 ounce weights.

If you split it and cast lead in the two halves you get flat sided weights with a half rounded profile making half the weights shown above. Ideal for barbelling in any flow as they hold the bottom well

Just had a look at Daves moulds. His are the Arlesey type weights , the mould I have is of the pear drop type but the way the lead is poured is different.

My mould has the holes (4) for pouring the lead in all on the same side making for easier and quicker lead making, no turning the mould over to get all four leads.

I've not experienced any loss of distance with the pear shaped leads as I've measured 145 yards on an old surveyers tape using one of Daves bait blaster rods and when piking any combination of lead and bait will lead to reduced distances due to drag and efficiency of a rods casting ability

Brian, you are a genius! I was going to make the leads and flatten them with a hammer for river fishing. Why didn't I just think of using half the mould?!

These were the moulds I had looked at:

www.castaway-tackle.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/226/groupID/10/categoryID/86/v/v

I guess I could get these and do some half moulds.

Edited by Martin Salisbury

Regards,

Martin

The moulds from castaway are the same that Dave Lumb sells only £3 more than Daves www.dlst.co.uk.

The mould I have is similar in that its two rectangular aluminium blocks that you clamp together with the pouring holes all on the same edge. If youre making lots of leads you will find it easier to pour the lead in one go into all four holes than having to keep turning the mould over to cast your bombs.

If its any use to you I'll pop into our local shop tomorrow and find out how much they are

Checked the price anyway whilst I was in and they are £18:50 and they have them in stock.

Thats for the pear shaped mould in sizes as above. Can put their number up for you or if you get stuck can always get if you need it (01642 474006) ,tackle shop number