Someone Is Listening

M.P

Guest @AUTUMN@

Neighbour works on the supply boats and does a lot of fishing on the quiet. Nothing special around the oil rigs he says. Do you think cod stay in one place???

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What would you call it then?

Black market, no one invest in a boat and nets to go out and fish for a hobby, the intention is clear catch as much as they can and unless they eat fish all day long and have several very large freezers they will be selling it somehow and cutting your market area down.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I think theres a lot of ifs and maybe's with that gene pool waffle, sound like some more scientists after more grant money.

Yer right as always Wurzel:wub:

Darwin was a lying idiot and God made all the little fishes :P:P

QUOT

I am sure that there are enough very large cod in the north sea to replenish the stocks if conditions become favourable,

The commercial fisherman and scientist said that about Cod on the grand banks

15 years have gone by and still no recovery.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

From what i can make out, it looks to me that all the wrecks should be protected.

It seems obvious by the amount of fish that are caught around wrecks, that the fish treat these as a place of safety were perhaps they can breed and feed. Don't seem fair that someone should be able to drop nets or fish over, or anywhere near these area's.

Give the fish a fair chance, leave their homes alone.

From what i can make out, it looks to me that all the wrecks should be protected.

It seems obvious by the amount of fish that are caught around wrecks, that the fish treat these as a place of safety were perhaps they can breed and feed. Don't seem fair that someone should be able to drop nets or fish over, or anywhere near these area's.

Give the fish a fair chance, leave their homes alone.

I agree mp, or atleast put a bag limit on these areas or a catch limit ie. once you have caught your limit fishing stops and you have to move off that area, dificult to police i suppose but then is not everything?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Thats because conditions are not favourable.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Thats because conditions are not favourable.

Wurzel from the bbc news 2 years ago

So what are the lessons for the North Sea?

Marine scientist George Rose is concerned to hear European fishermen challenging the warnings of scientists because they can still find plenty of cod.

This echoes the claims of trawlermen on the Grand Banks in the late 1980s, but it turned out that they were observing a phenomenon he calls "hyper-aggregation", in which fish cluster in ever-greater densities when their environment is under pressure.

'Bite the bullet'

"If you look at the data on the catches-per-unit of the trawler fleet, the highest ever recorded in this fishery were in 1992, when the stocks were on the verge of collapse," said Professor Rose.

"So if fishermen are still saying they can find concentrations, that's good news for now, but it should give no reassurance that you couldn't take those last bits of fish down and push the whole thing right over the edge."

And from another Bonavista fisherman Larry Tremblett, a sober piece of advice for his European colleagues:

"It would be better for them to take drastic measures now, bite the bullet for a little while and then hopefully their stock will rebuild.

"Not like what happened to us, just letting it go until there was nothing left.

"As far as Newfoundland is concerned now, our fishery has gone - wiped out, and all because of greed and stupidity."

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

"It would be better for them to take drastic measures now, bite the bullet for a little while and then hopefully their stock will rebuild.

only hopefully, he dose not sound as if he knows for sure.

As far as Newfoundland is concerned now, our fishery has gone - wiped out, and all because of greed and stupidity."

so you don't think a rise of about 6 degrees in water temp had no effect at all then.

THIRTY years ago, children in Newfoundland could catch fish by dipping a basket into the ocean.

As soon as I read that, I new the rest would be the usual crap Ive heard a thousand times before.

Fact: there are still conciderable amounts of cod on the banks.

Fact: if the conditions that favour those cod return they will replenish.

exactley the same but on a smaller scale as the cod in the southern north sea.