Farmed Cod to restock the coast?

Leon Roskilly

Leon

What comes out from your long post Leon is your love for Mullet.

There are allegedly plenty of Mullet in Drummore Harbour between 5 and 6 pounds. Not many catch them though.

The local commercials have tried double netting the harbour entrance, but the mullet outwitted them as well.

You have inspired me to have a go this summer. It will be a total new experience for me as i have never fished from the shore before. A steep learning curve is required, I think

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian,

You could start here :)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon22.htm

I've fished for them at Troon and at Ayr (with Davy Holt) and at Invarary on Loch Fyne, but despite my best efforts, and despite netting them for others, I've not yet landed a Scottish mullet!

Good Luck, but remember it could become an obsession if you let it!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 05. June 2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

wurzel:

Hello Leon.

You mention several times that commercial fishermen get the fish stocks for free. You try buying a fishing boat and licence, then the equipment and general running costs. add up the profit per hour per effort per investment.

They don't seem free to me.

Ok then so anglers are worth as much to the economy as the commercail fleet you say,I'm not so sure, so if you elimanate the commercial fleet,  to acheive what you want that is what will need to be done, do you think there will be enough anglers to make up the difference.

Just had a thought, if it was put to the country for a vote, a bit like the EU referendum, What does the country want, a commercail fleet or recreational anglers only?

I wonder who would win.

Hi Wurzel,

An oil company has to pay to extract oil, despite the cost of all the equipment ans skills needed, and so does a mining company.

Shops have to pay business rates to access a position on the high street, despite the costs of rent, stock etc.

Haulage firms have to pay road tax (and the cost of their tacographs to monitor what they do, unlike larger fishing vessels who have their monitoring equipment paid by the taxpayer).

All business that exploit a public resource have costs in equipment, training, safety etc on top of paying some kind of licence to access the public resource (apart from fishermen that is, where the costs of maintaining the industry costs the public purse some £8,000 per year per fisherman. Oh! and that licence was also given free by the governement. The fact that it is now worth thousands to the fishermen who are lucky enough to have one is a matter strictly between fishermen. Again I can't think of any other industry where assets worth many thousands of pounds are handed out free by the governement with no benefit to the taxpayer).

Recreational anglers contribute around £94 million pound in VAT to the exchequer. The fish species that they target are worth around £50 million to the inshore fishing industry at a net cost to the taxpayer.

'Recreational only fishery' ?

Now where did that idea spring from?

All of the proposals that I know of simply look at changing management objectives to produce a product that better balances the fair access of different sectors, and largely also benefit the future prospects of bona fide licensed fishermen.

Don't let the mischief makers screw your thinking with the fear of bogeymen that simply aren't there Wurzel!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 05. June 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

Quote from wurzel.

"Just had a thought, if it was put to the country for a vote, a bit like the EU referendum, What does the country want, a commercail fleet or recreational anglers only?

I wonder who would win."

Truely fictional of course but I guess Wurzel it would depend on what type of campaign was run. If the people viewed the situation from my perspective there could be only one winner.

Lets say I took a leaf from the past election and focussed on the opositions bad points:

You could publicise the 80% reports. The reports that there is a fifty fifty chance the fish on your plate was caught illegally. You could publicise how some individuals in thier greed make or have made vast amounts of money operating outside the law. You could publicise how fish stocks are at an all time low and need help. You could talk about 3.4 million pound scams. You could talk about 1 man stealing 7,600 tonnes of fish for himself. You could Highlight the following reported quote "industry sources say that the black fish trade is worth up to £100 million a year in Britain". Or the following quote from the same report "Up to 50 per cent of fish caught in Britain are landed illegally"

Could go on all day Wurzel. If we counteracted the bull (Propaganda) that comes from the commercial sector public opinion would indeed change and you may be very surprised at peoples displeasure at individuals who break the law, lie and cheat the system.

Or you could come from a different perspective . Tell me to shut up and focus on all the positives of RSA.

Originally posted by @SPRING@:

[QB] Quote from wurzel.

"Just had a thought, if it was put to the country for a vote, a bit like the EU referendum, What does the country want, a commercail fleet or recreational anglers only?

I wonder who would win."

Truely fictional of course but I guess Wurzel it would depend on what type of campaign was run. If the people viewed the situation from my perspective there could be only one winner.

Lets say I took a leaf from the past election and focussed on the opositions bad points:

You could publicise the 80% reports. The reports that there is a fifty fifty chance the fish on your plate was caught illegally. You could publicise how some individuals in thier greed make or have made vast amounts of money operating outside the law. You could publicise how fish stocks are at an all time low and need help. You could talk about 3.4 million pound scams. You could talk about 1 man stealing 7,600 tonnes of fish for himself. You could Highlight the following reported quote "industry sources say that the black fish trade is worth up to £100 million a year in Britain". Or the following quote from the same report "Up to 50 per cent of fish caught in Britain are landed illegally"

Could go on all day Wurzel. If we counteracted the bull (Propaganda) that comes from the commercial sector public opinion would indeed change and you may be very surprised at peoples displeasure at individuals who break the law, lie and cheat the system.]

You would also have to rely on and tell the truth with regard to commercial fishing and not rely on pap, untruth, rumour and lie in any campaign. Include those and my money's on the commercial fishing industry winning. Remember you're trying to convince the general public who eat fish but have no intrest in catching it themselves that it is in their own intrests for others to deny them the opportunity to eat fish as part of their diet

How can fish stocks be so low if there is £100 million worth of black fish being landed as well as the £100 million legal fish, it makes a joke out of the stock assements, which is one of the problems and why there are black fish to start with. As I've said in the past @Spring@ if the truth was knowen about quotas and in some cases how the EU have out manoeuvred our politicians so they lose our quotas to thier fishermen all your points would fly staight out the window.

Leon,

How can you change managment objectives to produce a product that better balences the fair access of diferent sectors,( should have been a politician) in other words more for anglers, and have just one inshore comercial fisherman per area. To acheive the sort of commercial carp puddle type fishery you seem to want, one comercial fisherman will be one to many. unless you are going to pay him not to catch fish.

As for the figures you quote, all I know is that if my small operations gross £100.000 per year it all goes back into the econmy for I have sod all left at the end of the year, surely that accounts for something.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Brain,

I was thinking along the same lines, the public like thier fish n chips, are not to happy to pay over the odds for it and not to bothered from where it comes from.

Mind you as for eating fish we are millions of tons behind any european country, that is why the EU politicians fight harder for their fishermen.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest jay_con

Brian Most of what I said there was taken from a very reliable source indeed. Also plenty of Truth here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-...1591457,00.html

http://www.sundayherald.com/49324

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2...005/05/26122226

http://www.ntlworld.com/searchresults/sear...ng+scotland&cr=

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...t=004870#000000

http://www.whitbytoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2....ticleID=1028227

All From very respectable sources.

Brian as a former employee of NESFC or whoever it was you say you worked for and as a former commercial fisherman I really thought you would of been more clued up on what is happening and what has happened. I assume you must have gone around blind folded in those days.

Wurzel my POINT was the public hate corruption and law breakers and people who make money operating outside the law whilst the rest of us go to work and do an HONEST days graft. With individuals making 3.4 million pound whilst operating outside the law (see below link) I think my point stays very much inside the window you talk of.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-...1591457,00.html

Totally agree

Did you see the BBC article the other day which stated that (think it was french) EU boats were catching nine times the allowable quota of local boats and were fishing what was our own waters.

Take into account their lower minimum landing sizes for fish and people should be able to see where the problem lies.

It's the EU CFP that needs reforming not constant mis-informed drivel directed at the UK fleet

Guest jay_con

AH that Myth rears its head again. IT'S NOT US ITS THE OTHERS.

Get real guys only 2 countries were reprimanded recently guess who was one of them????