Winter Piking

bingbong

'One point I have found with dead-baits is that in warmer conditions the pike will gulp them down more quickly. I don't really fish for pike in the summer months nowadays but I remember, from doing it as a youngster, that fishing dead-baits in the summer can lead to some nasty deep hooking incidents. It might be something we'll all have to watch out for in the future, if the traditional Oct start is as warm as this year has been.

This point is one that I agree entirely with, and one reason why I would rather that folk resisted the temptation to deadbait as they do in the summer.

Yes I believe that is most likely the reason too Slodger.

I cant acsess the files on my main PC at the moment but if Ratty Fitzgerald sees this he may still have the "more scientific" information I sent him last year on the subject of air pressure.If he can find/post this it may be of interest to some of you.

fitzgerald!! mr burgess i am a fitzpatrick! :P

i dont have it i am afraid,got wiped out when boards moved,was in messages,i should have saved dowm a hrd copy,i may heve just cant remeber,have to have a look,dont hold ya breath tho ;)

slodger,its happeneing already mate,had several fish take a bait deep recenltly(very mild isnt it) not deep hooked but far back enough for me not to be happy about it thats despite my instantt strikes. :( does worry me...specially concerning the leave it!..bit longer gang

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

as a relative newcomer to piking is there a point ( ie water/air temperature ) when pike start to hunt out deadbaits ? ive had no luck at all and many anglers say its simply not cold enough yet . i fish around the bedford area
Pike will take deadbaits any time of the year.

I have been fishing a water temp of 56F of late - very high for the time of year. It's been very hard going on deadbaits, livebaits and lures, but I have managed to tempt a few very large pike for clients, using medium size deadbaits, despite the high water temperature.

05048.jpg05044.jpg05038.jpg

The strong sun rays that keep pounding/penetrating my local waters are causing absolute havoc...

Strong sun rays are causing algal blooms to occur nigh on all year round now - i.e. in my local water.

Algal blooms produce oxygen near the water's surface, but cause de-oxygenation near the bottom - i.e. where pike lay - making them very lethargic.

Algal blooms, being dark in colour, cause the water to warm up quick during daylight hours - at night, the algal blooms knock the stuffing out of the water and reduce the oxygen levels even more.

In order for October/November/December water to hold a good supply of oxygen, i.e. enough oxygen to make fish active, the water needs to be free of algae and very cold - i.e well below 50F.

The lack of high winds are not helping. High winds will force oxygen into the water - how long it will hold in the water though, what with the algal blooms knocking the oxygen out of the water at depth, is another thing.

The lack of rain is probably not helping matters either!!

With so many fish in my local water, weeing and poohing, and what with the lack of rain/freshwater flushing the river out, the water will probably be high in nitrate - which is not good!!!

I was only saying to a client today, as far as I can remember, I have never had to wear sunglasses in November - the sun is that strong!!

Edited by Charlie Bettell