Handing Ourselves On A Platter To The Anti's Becuase Of Stupidity Like This.

frodo_uk

Thats fine, I totaly respect your views. However I still belive that more can be done to educate people about the dangers of leaving litter etc behind. Especially those new to the sport, who may not have peers to show them how to behave and teach a general respect for the enviroment.

I'm glad that you both feel this way, and I'm sure that everyone on this bbs shares your thoughts and feelings, but the sad fact is that whilst we practice what we preach, many do not.

My point was mainly regarding the need to drum in these sentiments to every angler at every oppertunity and hopefully make such acts "the done thing". Just because you and I never needed to be told how to act, does not mean that other people dont need a shove in the right direction.

Just my thoughts and ramblings, I'm glad we both (and everyone else here) have similar feelings and act appropriately.

Thanks for reading,

Phil

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Phil, don't get me wrong, i'm not against education, and boards such as this are great.....but they are only useful to those of us who are willing to learn. Unfortunately there are a significant minority who have no interest in fish welfare or the welfare of the lake or wildlife......all they want to do is intimidate the bailiff into not asking them for money and turning up with 24 cans of carling to demolish around a bonfire on a summers night on a non night fishing lake.

I think you get the idea ;-)))

Maybe a bit like drink driving, such anti social fishing habits need to be publicised to a point where those who behave in such a manner are made to look small and stupid.......I reckon its the only language such people understand.

Sorry.........fancied a rant tonight! LOL

Well I see the post has sparked some interesting debate. I realised from the off that the line was almost certainly not discarded as reported in the telegraph but more likely in the water from a snap off. particularly as the hook was still attached, but i thought i'd let you guys discuss that one (makes for a better discussion)

This does not of course ease the swans suffering any. but it is as some say sometimes unavoidable. It certainly does drive home the importance of traces. In answer to elton, although what you say is right about other animals being killed elton it has little relevace here. the other areas do not get turned into properganda, ours does, its not right but their it is. and if we can take a responsible approach to this and even if our efforts stop just a handful of birds suffering , then that can't be a bad thing can it.

the problem is no-one wants to see birds end up like this, on the other hand nobody wants to give up their fishing.....I wonder what the solution might be.

finally although this might have been less "careless" as the paper may have us believe it cannot be denied that there is still a small group of people who discard their line in an reckless manner. this type of discussion and any thing that helps bring awareness to this problem and any chances of improving situations like this can only be a good thing.

steve walker i to have seen a hedgehog try pulling on a hand brush at my house ...trying to take it back to its nest.

I have caught a juvenile duck in its leg , caught it and realeased it no worse for wear after it had dived down and pick up my line.....(lesson learned by the way i will be alot more careful next time)

I dont know you do I .... spooky :blink::huh:

fat, stupid hobbit.

"such anti social fishing habits need to be publicised to a point where those who behave in such a manner are made to look small and stupid.......I reckon its the only language such people understand."

Now thats a form of education I'm all for in these particular circumstances. A damn good idea in my eyes, although it would seem to be non PC in some peoples eyes...........but thats just tough lol.

Accidents happen, I'm sure we have all lost line and hooks in waters through sheer bad luck or misjudgement some one time or another. It's the disregard of the enviroment around us that gets my hackles up.

Good lil discussion! :)

As Phil says, "Good lil discussion", especially as I've learnt something :):)

I've always picked up my (and others) discarded line and either taken it home to put it in the rubbish, or in the rubbish bins if provided at the fishery. It never occurred to me that this will end up at the tip where seagulls etc are foraging. Obvious really :rolleyes::rolleyes:

From now on I'll either cut it up or burn it.

Just shows we're never too old to learn, and this is as good a place as any to learn it :):)

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Phil.......sorry mate, but I dont accept your statement that there is not enough guidance for people.

Theres guidance everywhere, not to mention the bit of grey matter between peoples ears which suggests you dont "lob" 10 lb carp back into a lake that has margins less than 6 inches deep in water (yep seen it myself and felt disgusted by it)...or leave yards of discarded 15 lb line lying around the bank (i've burned reels of it collected in my mere 18 months of angling)..or that you dont chuck 24 empty carling cans in the ditch behind the pool.

Nobody taught me a thing about fishing......I either looked for information myself or I acted on the basis of the grey cells between my ears..its not really rocket science is it????

Far too many morons handle fishing rods if you ask me....and thats just based on my short experiences, those who have been fishing for decades must be even more disgusted in what they often see. Its not about education.........there is a small but significant minority who simply dont give a s**t about anyone or anything bar themselves.

it really annoys me that anglers (??) go to the trouble of collecting their rubbish only to leave it hanging in a plastic bag from a tree or in the remains of a camp fire , i even saw a metal bbq filled with old beer cans left by the river bank