Any Furniture Experts On Here?

Howard 13

I've just had an estate agent round to value my house and whilst we were in my fishing shed, he commented on this old pine dresser which has got me thinking. Obviously needs stripping and a little bit of work but how much would it be worth roughly?

(Can easily do some close up photos if need be.)

Ta,

H.post-797-1131124695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Howard 13

I've just had an estate agent round to value my house and whilst we were in my fishing shed, he commented on this old pine dresser which has got me thinking. Obviously needs stripping and a little bit of work but how much would it be worth roughly?

(Can easily do some close up photos if need be.)

Ta,

H.post-797-1131124695_thumb.jpg

looks like a pretty late irish dresser, could be worth a few quid, the older ones had a cage below where the cupboards are basically spindles. This was so they could keep a few laying chickens in during the winter.

These original ones can fetch upto £10k in good restored condition.

They would never have been plain pine they would always have been painted.

Check inside the doors to see if there is any evidence of the spindles in the top or bottom rails.

Though looking at yours it is quite plain.

It's a bit hard to tell the age without seeing it but even if it is a failry late one then the best way to sell it would probably be to fix it up and strip it, could probably sell a crap one for £500-600.

I worked for a cabinet maker years ago who bought one (with a hutch under) for £200 he restored it and sold it in Ireland again for over £5000.

Don't get to carried away though there is ahuge variation in prices and quality, and to be honest yours looks like it could do with a hell of alot of work.

Cheers Chappers, I'm going to drag it out into the garage and see what it's like under decent light. Got to be worth doing though if I can get a few quid for it. Keep me busy for a few nights.

It could end up on the bonfire though. :)

HB.