My Best Cod

Roland Rahal

In view of the recent weather conditions, it was with great relief that last Friday evening our trip aboard "Fair Chance" from Dungeness was confirmed as being on.

Accordingly, seing our trip last week was cancelled at very short notice, five of us arrived full of expectancy and boarded for a beach launch.

The weather proved to be very good, and the rain forecast only arrived after we had loaded the cars for the return trip.

Although there was an abundance of Whiting the vast majority were return since they were in the 1 to 1½ lb mark, and only 6 of between 2 to 3 lb were kept.

The Cod were much more elusive, and only 6 were landed, 3 small codling were returned, the other three were one of approx 3 lb, one of 6 lb 14 oz and the final one (my personal best) of 18lb 4 oz.

All in all a very enjoyable day was had by all

:rolleyes:

Roland

WVDAA

My best cod was not my biggest ever cod. I used to enjoy taking an old carp rod with me for the brief period of slack water at high tide. This particular night at Orford Island, Suffolk I chucked out my 2oz weight as far as I could & off to the left & watched the slowly outgoing tide take my weight & line steadily but obviously to the right. Imagine my suprise when my line suddenly took an about turn & headed back from whence it came. A gentle strike & very responsive action on my 2 & 1/4 test curve carp rod was followed by a 3lb cod on the beach. Magic. :D

Most embarrasing one was while boat fishing in the estuary at Felixstowe. My 1st cast resulted in lost end tackle & line. 6 hours later & after a few codling it was lines in & time to leave. As I wound in my gear I noticed it getting heavier. No thump of a fish but a dead weight. I startled to haul yellow line that I recognised as the line I'd lost 6 hours earlier. On the end of the lie my end tackle & on the end of my hook a very dead 5lb codling. Unfortunately this was spotted by the skipper who proceeded to call me a "very lucky person" (or something similar !!!)