Question To Big Game Anglers

Snatcher

Am in the process of tying up some marlin lures for bob@reefcatfishing and Dave Godwin. The target species are I believe white marlin on fly gear. One suggestion was to add a trailing hook to a few of the lures. What is the best way to secure the two hooks together? I would hate to think that a fish was lost due to my incompetant knot tying :(

You can pick up on the original story if interested on Destinationation Florida posted on the sea forum by me on 29 Oct

Should have a doz lures apiece to post off shortly Dave and Bob, PM me your addresses.

Oh the lures are being tied up on 6/0 O'Shaunessies :D:D

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Snatcher - can't wait to see them.... will pm my address in the UK.

I've never rigged a fly with double hooks, although I do rig many of my trolling lures with doubles. Personally I always use crimps and fairly heavy mono for white marlin rigs, 150lb or so. Because we are trolling we have to use anti chafing protectors on all the loop to loop connecters, so that the line doesn't get worn by the constant movement. On a fly that wouldn't be a problem, so I would imagine that you could do a sort of snell through the front hook eye, with the tail trailing back for the second hook, provided that the hook eye is still big enough to take the snippet.

Hope that makes some sort of sense???

I've been making up some new lure moulds, so will be experimenting later today. I'm still waiting for some lure skirts to be delivered, which is why I haven't yet done my custom "Snatcher" lure. Watch this space.

Snatcher,

Bob`s idea is as good as any. If you rig the trailing hook using a fairly stiff mono or wire, (mono say 200 test min) but before dressing shrink wrap the shank of the leading hook and the section of mono that runs along that shank together, this helps to keep the trailing hook from drooping too much. The heavier the mono the better. Electrical shrink wrap from B&Q is more than adequate. You might also want to take into account the IGFA regs on saltwater flies.

" The fly can be dressed on a single hook or two single hooks in tandem. The second hook in any tandem fly must not extend beyond the wing material. The eyes of the hooks shall be no further than 6inches (15.24 cms) apart. Treble hooks are prohibited. The eyes of the hooks should be no less than a hooks length apart, (the length of the largest of the hooks). "

Hope that helps a bit.

HHMMM :o Do you think we should maybe see if the single hooks work by themselves first :unsure:

Straight to the tying vice after tea then :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Bob finished your lures last night.Think they look the biz,will post op a picture tonight.

Dave will make a start on yours next week. :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

slight tweak, instead of shrink tube, run a piece of cocktail stick along the shank of the top hook to the eye of the trailing hook, then cover with electrical tape, you can then check rigging after use.

Regards

Flynny

[/thanks Snatcher, there's no rush mate.quote]

slight tweak, instead of shrink tube, run a piece of cocktail stick along the shank of the top hook to the eye of the trailing hook, then cover with electrical tape, you can then check rigging after use.

Regards

Flynny

Flynny2, That sounds like a much better idea than the shrink wrap. To tweak it even further probably the plastic cocktail sticks would be less prone to breakage than wooden ones.

Would photograph your marlin flies Bob but young snatch has gone out on the lash and I cannot locate his digital camera.

Am off to my caravan,Mull of Galloway,tomorrow for the last weekend of the year so will probably post up some photos Monday and send your marlin "flies" off early next week :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair