Question To Big Game Anglers

Snatcher

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking lures.

I have made one or two flies/lures for Bass using epoxy and am interested in moulding a lure more similar to big game lures even gone as far as to obtain the acrylic! but unsure how to mount eyes before pouring resin, also what to make mould out of.

Any advice.

Best Regards

Flynny

Hi Flynny - I use RTV silicone to make the moulds, you can find it on ebay easy enough, its a bit expensive but quite easy to use.

I cast the inserts in U section aluminium extrusions, adding strips of lead if I need some weight, I usually make up several 30 cm lengths at a time. each with different amounts of lead. I can then cut them to the right length for the lure I'm making. I then cover the insert in holographic tape, and add eyes, and put it in the mould to cast around. You could do without the insert and just use plastic or brass tubing up the middle with the eyes stuck on to that.

The resin is polyester clear casting resin, from the same supplier as the silicone. I use www.tomps.com, although his ebay shop is cheaper than the website.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bob that is terrific Crabs you swine :lol::lol: Cheers it really looks the biz

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi Snatcher

The flies I use successfully for Pacific Sails, which would similarly suit Whites, are based on light straight-eyed, long-shanked 5/0s with slight incurving needle points. The two hooks are rigged to fish stiff at 180 degrees to each other on light braided wire.

In my experience although billfish will take flies sub surface they'll respond most aggressively to poppers fished on a fast sink line. Whilst the line won't sink the fly it angles the head downwards to create a very effective 'pop'.

Once they're teased in, and the teaser removed, the fly needs to be cast slightly behind and, importantly, to one side of the fish. That way the take will normally position the hook in the scissors, ready for a strip strike.

Dave

Thanks for the input Dave. This is virtually new territory for me and I am on a learning curve by the look of it :)

Cheers

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Went to take a couple of photos of your lures for the record and guess what - duff batteries :( Will hopefully do it tomorrow :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Here are your lures Bob, will post off today :)

PIC_0259.jpg

PIC_0258.jpg

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Hi Snatcher

Evidentially Trey Combs does supply pre-tied tandem hook rigs for tube Billfish flies. One such stockist is 'Stateside stockist is - FlyfishUSA Tandem hookrig. Alternatively, for custom built tube flies, there're instructions on this web site - Tying Instructions.

Also, on this site, there're details of tying poppers - Popper. If you want to fish your fly on the surface loads of American suppliers offer foam popper heads.

And here's an article by Stu Apte on rigging leader systems. However I must admit to finding it much easier to buy the pre-rigged Climax ones.

Dave

Whoops! Here's the url for the rigging article - By Stu Apte