Too Scared To Go Pike Fishing.

A Worm OOE

Tony No problem I can give him a call tonight if you want to contact him quickly.

By the way I am going back through all the threads about Pike handling on here. It was that that prompted my post.

No rush but I would like to meet up with him again.

With regard to Pike handling we can go through that on the 10th.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Worm....I'm no big fan of barbed hooks anyway, but barbless ones will make life heaps easier for you to remove from the net (as the pike tend to roll emselves up in your net) and from the fish whilst you feel less than confident. I've crushed all mine right down on my spinners and plugs.

If its any consolation, my second ever fish took my spinner right down the gill rakers (you are unlikely to get a worse scenario than this) but I simply snipped the line and drew the spinner out the gills (easy when you are holding them under the chin) rather than out the mouth. With the barbs crushed, the hooks slide out nice n easy.

I'd go for it.......even as a complete beginner I didnt find it as difficult as I'd psyched myself up for it to be.

Peter Cool I can do, Crushed barbs I will do, Long forceps I have but side cutters?

Wire cutters, heavy duty and able to cut through a hook. Get good ones, not cheapies from the PoundShop ;)

Worm, just a thought but how about rigging your plugs with circle hooks instead of the trebles? Less daunting to unhook.

Good luck with them pike !

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Good on you worm.

OK you're a bit green when it comes to pike fishing, you wish to learn but are unsure about handling and unhooking etc.

I'm very glad you have asked for help instead of going it alone which would prove to put the fish at great risk if caught by a novice.

The best way to fish for pike is with an experienced angler. That way, they can show you the correct way to play, land, unhook and return the fish without harming it.

;)

spot on,good on ya a worm,once you get ya confidence wuth them theres no going back! esox is god :)

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Dear All,

Got to say, I'm pretty impressed with this one. Angling is all about helping the other guy out when its needed.

Anglers Net has a netful of these lads.

Nice one.

I of course would offer advice on the handling of pike but you'd probably end up inside one!

Regards,

Lee.

Worm,it aint people like you that are a danger to pike its the ones who think they know it all and wont ask for advice that are the constant problem.Fair play to you mate and to Tony for offering to help.Us "Piking Police" often get taken to task for constantly repeating it but getting a competent piker to show you really is the way.

I do several teach ins for clubs etc each winter,most who attend regardless of experience find them interesting and informative. Some of the clubs I do them for insist that their members must attend a teach in before they are allowed to fish for pike on the clubs waters.Sadly on these teach ins I find there are always a few who resent having to attend (as they allready "know it all") as the teach in progress's it soon becomes apparent that it is inevitabley these who in fact know the least! Now that is sad.

For anyone in Worms position I would say dont be scared,dont be put off but be aware there are skills to be learned and correct tools to have.Above all follow Worms lead and find out these things before you go!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!