Rookie

snapon

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Snapon.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Have a look here, all the info you need to read up on, good advice great site.

After reading you may have a better idea of how it all works.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

Look here. :)

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/KayakDat...ayakChoice.html

YY :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Welcome

As a newbie myself and still waiting to get a Yak I can say you are in the right place. The friendly expertise here is in valuable.

I have got my choice down to 2 but it is a very personal choice. Start by working out your budget, what you intend to use it for and where you intend to paddle. Then you have to take into account your size, storage and transport options etc.

If you can try them out then do.

Some good recent threads on here that might help.

Dont be afraid to ask this is one of the most friendly sites Ive been on. The expertise and knowledge here takes some beating they have certainly helped me.

In addition to Yakety's link try the one below its got some good comparisons

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ :)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi

Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of useful and as previously stated invaluable advice from other members.

As a newbie myself, I have found that it does pay to take your time. Subject to where you live, try to have a look at other members yaks, once you have decided and obtained your yak find a buddy or group for your first few trips, believe me there's loads of things that you won't have thought of, it's safer and more reassuring from a confidence point of view.

Regarding the outigger question, there are a few people who have carried out this mod, mainly on the US forums, they are from guys who require a greater degree of stability such as fly fishermen who wish to stand while casting etc.

Prior to getting my yak I had planned all sorts of mods, as of last weekend these are on the back burner (cheers chuggs) I would get used to paddling first.

For me my Tarpon 140 behaved beautifully and felt very stable at sea but landing in surf was different to anything I had experienced.

So practice, practice, practice and ask, ask, ask, ask, questions.

Good Luck

Flynny

hi

from snapon thank you all very much for your help full and friendly advice most appreciated..

i would be looking to use it mostly for fishing. It is finding some where that would let me try some

out before i buy one. there so many to chose from and they all look good .

the ocean ambush but haven't seen it advertised any where . its quite a wide yak

44"BEAM i think and can take a elect motor. any body used one .

thanks snapon.

Hi snapon, if you are anywhere near exmouth, you can take out my P15 for a try if you like. May give you some idea, terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hiya Snapon.

What are your personal stats - Hieght , wieght etc.

What kind of waters are you going to fish, lakes ponds, sea, or both.

What viechle do you have, or have accsess to.

Have you paddled a Kayak / canoe before ?

What type of Fishing will you be doing - Fly - lure - bottom - drifting - or all.

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hiya Snapon.

What are your personal stats - Hieght , wieght etc.

What kind of waters are you going to fish, lakes ponds, sea, or both.

What viechle do you have, or have accsess to.

Have you paddled a Kayak / canoe before ?

What type of Fishing will you be doing - Fly - lure - bottom - drifting - or all.

hi

i am. 5.8 11 stone i would like to use it for sea and lake or all .

i have some canoe experience but haven't past any of my tests have done the roll and Howe to get

out of canoe when upside down

my vehicle is a landrover discovery

regards snapon.

Same build as me. Don't want anything too heavy if you are lifting it onto a Disco. Suggest you have a look at Prowler or Scupper Pro the later if you are looking at doing some distance/touring. Don't discount others though particularly the Tarpons and Malibu (both heavier and more expensive). Best thing is to go and look at as many as possible. Its a very personal choice.

Where are you based? It might be possible to link up with some members of this board for a few try outs.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)