Spinners For Perch

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Ferret1959

I'm looking for good perch spinners/lures/anything.

Them cheapo ones are a waste of time, you have to retrieve them twice as fast as perch swim just to get them in to action.:(

Whatcha reckon then?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for good perch spinners/lures/anything.

Them cheapo ones are a waste of time, you have to retrieve them twice as fast as perch swim just to get them in to action.:(

Whatcha reckon then?

I would of thought the Ondex Series Spinner would do the trick Dave. Have you tried using them?

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Guest Ferret1959

Yip used them for perch and pike with good catch rates.

I'm just seeing what else is worth trying.

I've had a fair amout of perch on spinner baits, suprising what the little perches hit.:)

Dave, If I can find them small lures which I brought back from America some years ago. They were the slightly bigger than the ondex spinner but in like the ABU tobyies shape but I did had a fair catch of these perch. I will have an look for them later and put a picture up for you

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

don't know if you can still get them but voblex spinners were the best perch spinners I have ever used . Had a solid rubber head about the size of a walnut and a spinning blade about the size of a 10p piece.

Edited by chappers

Not strictly "spinners" as such, but have you tried the Fox Chubby Shads ? (A soft plastic/rubbery lure) You can do a straight retrieve with them, or fish them sink and draw stylee, and they catch perch well.

Relatively snag/weed freein use too, due to the single hook on top of the lure.

it,s a stoater !

I agree with Ferret that cheap spinners are often of poor quality, whether due to poor design, poor components or poor build quality. The same applies to many lipped plugs, although cheap copies of spoons can be excellent.

Before any advice on lures can be given it's important to know how deep you'll be fishing. For instance, the Ondex is a very good spinner. However, it's not much cop if you want to fish deep or make long casts.

The spinners I've had most success with over the years have been from Mepps and Abu. I've especially done well with the Mepps Aglia and the Abu Reflex, both of which can be retreived very slowly.

One tip with spinners that don't work at low speed is to give them a sharp pull before beginning the retrieve. This often gets them going and you can then slow the retrieve right down.

Finally, if you stop feeling the spinner working then strike! It may be a take, but even if it isn't it often starts the blade revolving again.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Whether a spinner blade rotates properly or not is usually down to the clevis design. On cheap spinners you tend to have a flat piece of metal or a metal pipe with flattened ends with holes drilled in each end. If the clevis is poorly designed or has been pulled through weeds for instance, the clevis actually grips the wire shaft, preventing the blade from turning.

I use the same type of clevises found on 'Mepps' spinners because they require the least movement to begin rotating and there's little chance of mishaping them, should you draw the lure through weed. Folded brass clevises are less prone to damage but some varieties work better than others. I always opt for type shown below which I always describe as being 'breast-shaped'.....sorta...... <_<

With regards to addressing the blade, should it fail to rotate, I used to do as Steve suggested but I found this to be a bit of a pain, especially when you've just cast your spinner under a bush and your designated 'hit zone' is only 18" square. Drawing at the spinner may only succeed in pulling the lure from the 'hit zone' before it has any appeal. I flick the rod tip towards the lure and then continue cranking as normal. This means the lure hangs, flashes and flutters in the right area before going on it's merry way again. I often employ this tactic quite deliberately as the flash of dropping spinner can often grab the attentions of an otherwise lazy fish.

SpinnerAndCleviscopy.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...