Dirty Wall Aldeburgh Sat 4th December

codroamer

My son and I picked the bait up and were ready to fish around 4.30Pm as the tide was ebbing. There was a southerly wind of approximately 10 miles and hour and there was some surf, with the water coloured after the gusts of the previous few days. The conditions seemed perfect. Obviously other anglers thought the same because we were all spread out at 10 to 15 yards as far as the eye could see. The beach shelves so deeply, I was amazed. I have never been here before.

We both cast out apporximately 80 yards and bingo! my son had a knock within five minutes. A codling! ....all six inches of it :( But here was hope! He jumped up and down with glee and baited up again then....... nothing. Hour after after our rods stood like Grenadier guards.....not a bite. We waited for high tide at midinight. Everybody else waited for high tide....nothing. High tide came and went. A beautiful starry night. The wind dropped to almost nothing. No sign of the rain that was predicted. A glorious night except for the fact that we totally blanked. And so did everybody else. We couldn't understand it and nor could anybody else.

I know the usual sceptics will say that the sea has been fished out and there is no fish in the sea etc. etc. I'm not convinced of that. Let them say it.

Although we had an almost total blank, I am sold on the venue and will be returning to it by spring. I have never seen such deep water from the beach and its comfortable fishing with the car only yards away.

I don't understand why we blanked and the locals cant all be wrong. They were amazed. I'll be back!! Let the sceptics say as they wish. B)

Enfield North London

Good report Codroamer, I had a similar experience yesterday. Fished the Gareloch on the flood from 7AM (Still dark) till 3PM and all I had was a solitary Codling of about 4oz, and Whiting and Dabs. The beach that I was fishing in question drops off to over 40 feet within about 60 yards so to say I was dissapointed would be right. I too will be back ;)

flattie

Codroamer, I'll treat myself to the petrol down there one day. It has got to be one of the most consistent venues around these parts for double figure fish. Never mind this time. Consider it a recce.

Let me know when you will be going. It would be nice to put a face to names seen on these pages. :)

Enfield North London

"Let me know when you will be going. It would be nice to put a face to names seen on these pages."

Same here I wouldn't mind a trip, I usually fish Felixstowe as its close but i've fished Aldeburgh a few times and like it as a venue especially if you can fish a quieter night (midweek?).

nick

Bad luck mate - it goes like that some times.

It's a good venue and like you say, good depth of water. :)

Once Elton gets back from his holiday, reads all the reported posts, he'll probably need a day's fishing too. Count me in on a meet up. :)

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

My son and I picked the bait up and were ready to fish around 4.30Pm as the tide was ebbing. There was a southerly wind of approximately 10 miles and hour and there was some surf, with the water coloured after the gusts of the previous few days. The conditions seemed perfect. Obviously other anglers thought the same because we were all spread out at 10 to 15 yards as far as the eye could see. The beach shelves so deeply, I was amazed. I have never been here before.

We both cast out apporximately 80 yards and bingo! my son had a knock within five minutes. A codling! ....all six inches of it :( But here was hope! He jumped up and down with glee and baited up again then....... nothing. Hour after after our rods stood like Grenadier guards.....not a bite. We waited for high tide at midinight. Everybody else waited for high tide....nothing. High tide came and went. A beautiful starry night. The wind dropped to almost nothing. No sign of the rain that was predicted. A glorious night except for the fact that we totally blanked. And so did everybody else. We couldn't understand it and nor could anybody else.

I know the usual sceptics will say that the sea has been fished out and there is no fish in the sea etc. etc. I'm not convinced of that. Let them say it.

Although we had an almost total blank, I am sold on the venue and will be returning to it by spring. I have never seen such deep water from the beach and its comfortable fishing with the car only yards away.

I don't understand why we blanked and the locals cant all be wrong. They were amazed. I'll be back!! Let the sceptics say as they wish. B)

Where did you get your bait?

We picked ours up from Southwold and it was not much good,watery tanked lug.

Do'nt you get fresh bait up there?

Where did you get your bait?

We picked ours up from Southwold and it was not much good,watery tanked lug.

Do'nt you get fresh bait up there?

We picked ours up at Bosmere Tackle, Needham Market, Ipswich. But It wasn't fresh. I'd call it fair. Next time I'll either get it Saxmundham or get the bait in London.

Enfield North London