Hythe Report

maidstonemike

Lovely evening at Hythe today. Fished two hours before high and two hours after. Didn't expect much, as the tides are getting smaller. Used 5/0 Bass hooks well loaded. Caught 9 whiting. Surprised they could hook themselves on a big hook. Dozens of bites as the perishers stripped my bait intended for another Cod.

Enjoyable evening though.

I bet all those whiting were hooked in the mouth, easily unhooked and in a good condition to return if you didn't want them for the pot.

I use 6/0 aberdeens. No need for scratching hooks.

I always use large hooks, fish are rearly gut hooked that way.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Well, I am converted to big hooks. The only fish they wouldn't possibly catch are flatties. If I want flatfish, I fish for them with small long shanks.

I was surprised that so many whiting were caught on a 5/0. I expected the odd one, but not nine.

Your post has certainly made me think about using larger hooks Mike. I hate getting deep hooked fish, and I can see how using bigger hooks would largely solve the problem ...........

Lovely evening at Hythe today. Fished two hours before high and two hours after. Didn't expect much, as the tides are getting smaller. Used 5/0 Bass hooks well loaded. Caught 9 whiting. Surprised they could hook themselves on a big hook. Dozens of bites as the perishers stripped my bait intended for another Cod.

Enjoyable evening though.

Let's see how you get on when we meet next Saturday!! I ain't letting you get away with catching a 19LB Cod....If I get a 19LB cod, I'll throw it back until I get a 20 pounder!! :angry:

Enfield North London