Winter Competition

richi

Well done Spanner :D You've certainly beat my one solitary species anyway :D richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant stuff Spanner. I will be up to finish off where were almost started last year!

Are you still up for a camping trip and see if you can get that skate from the prowler? I am up for it if you are - I have the second half of January - be good with snow on the tops!

You have far better fishing up there than we have in the summer down here!

I think we had better call you King Dick from now on!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks guys. I certainly enjoyed it and with scenery and weather like that who wouldn't?

Actually I was a little dissapointed with the fishing as it was all small stuff, and some very small :) I was really hoping for a spur over 10lb and 6 species......

Simon, yep I'm still up for it .... and thats good timing as I've just had a work trip to Turkey at the end of the month cancelled .... so "I'm free" :D

Reading the thread about the guys down at Cumbrae and their close call made me think about it being even more important in winter to keep it simple and keep it safe. As a result I think it will be better to split this into seperate trips although we can still be based in the same area and do the trips back to back.

There is a scout hall next to a pub that we can use as a base and do a day trip for the big flatties and maybe have another day species hunting. Plus there are several very sheltered lochs in the area if it gets rough. We can do a one night camp offshore as well as there are plenty of options for that too depending on the weather.

Edited by spanner

Top fishing spanner. Well done.

Looks a great spot. All I had was the worlds smallest Bass and a pout that was even smaller..............Oh and a ruddy great walk back..........thats another story.

Well Done

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Darnsarf - ruddy great walk back?

You've been listening to Starvin Marvin haven't you? He likes taking his kayak for a walk too...

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

This walk back was in another league ;):)

Read the mountain man thread posted by Richi. We couldnt post a write up for 12 hours due to exaustion. Ok overstating it a bit :P

Great day though! Really summed up what Kayak fishing is to me. Bit of a (well thought out) adventure. :)

[quote name='darnsarf'

Great day though! Really summed up what Kayak fishing is to me. Bit of a (well thought out) adventure. :)

here here! :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Out of interest which route did you take back from Mupe Bay? Up the chalky path hill and back down the other side or along the coastline past Fossil Forest?

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hmmmm, I'm impressed! I do not do well in cold, having lived in the warmer climes most of my life. I did spend a few month in Korea in 1979 while with the Marines. I lived in a tent and it was as cold as -40 degrees Farenheit. I was also stationed in Scotland (Edzell) from Sept 70 - Sept 73, but certainly most of my life has been warm weather.

I'm not sure that I'd live through a cold experience like you guys do, now a days.

I'm in Mannheim, germany right now and really despising this cold stuff.

Respectfully, Prowlerguy sends

Dolphin3-2-28May02.jpg

Dolphin1May02-2.jpg

Specimen

There is a path that runs between both of those but still takes you back to the cove at the fossil forest path. The path starts up hill course gravel, then goes down hill past an abandoned farm. You then go through a gate, down a muddy path to the cliff above the cove and then down some steps onto the shingle at the eastern end of the cove.

Think the path up to the radar station would definately have been fatal! :o:)

Prowlerguy. Just a question of having the right gear and mental approach. Trouble is if Im not mistaken you are at the wrong end of Germany. I was posted in the Hamburg area in the 80s for 6 years. Getting to the coast wasn't such a problem.