Well Meant Gifts

Gaz51

Does anyone get fishing tackle as Christmas/birthday presents?

I used to always get some form of fishing tackle from well meaning relatives (usually in-laws). For quite a few years I received these gifts with gratitude.

Eventually I raised the courage to inform the wife that the well meant gifts were not quite what I needed.

I hate to upset people and hurt their feelings but quite honestly, a lot of the gifts bought for me were to be brutally honest "tat". I still have them lying around the garage.

I still receive tackle as Christmas presents but nowadays buy my own. The wife then whisks it away to a relative for me to receive on the 25th.

Apparently I'm "hard to buy for" and that is why I was bought tackle I didn't want or need. With the buy it yourself approach I'm keeping myself happy (I get something I need or will use) and the relative hasn't the headache of deciding what to buy the grumpy fisherman! :blink:

I know what you mean, one Christmas fishing gift I remember was an all in one fishing tool. There was a handy digorger, preist, filleting knife, a murderous looking blade, and a tool for removing nails from horses hooves. Needles to say it was snapped up on ebay :)

I did actually get a useful "fishing tool" one year. The usual sub-leatherman multitool / pliers rubbish, but also the best filleting blade I've used. Absolutely lethally sharp but fabulous for slicing baits on the beach. The sort of knife that gives the lie to the aphorism that "sharp knives are safer than blunt ones". There's ordinary sharp and there's "bring plasters" sharp.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I requested "pike the practice and the passion" by mick brown for xmas..........I have a good idea i have it too given that the person ordered it using my amazon accoutn and paid for it with my credit card :rolleyes:

Is this cheating????

LOL

I have a good idea i have it too given that the person ordered it using my amazon accoutn and paid for it with my credit card :rolleyes:

LOL

I think you can safely say you'll be getting it for Christmas Phil !!! :D Don't read it all at once, save it for those bitter winter evenings where you can sit down and relax, to me that's the best way to get the most out of a book.

On no account use the book as lavatory reading!!! :blink: It won't do you any good, you'll stay on until you've finished the chapter you're reading!!! lol

Guest Brumagem Phil
On no account use the book as lavatory reading!!!

Dangling your lure in the bowl is unlikely to result in any monster pike either :D

i usually get fishing stuff for christmas but now i have everything i need!

That sounds like a woman saying she has all the makeup and shoes she needs! Are you sure??

:D