Mounting The Transducer

doshkadog

I have with interest looked at lots of threads regarding fishfinders and how to mount them. Can any one tell me why you can not mount the transducer down a scupper hole?

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Good question

Next question will the plug that fits the fishfinder go though the scupper hole if yes no reason at all, but it could/will get damaged when you drag it up the beach or go a ground

If it won't go through the scupper hole DON'T cut the cable not recommended.

When I did my one a glued a plastic box with epoxy resin poured some melted Vaseline in and stuck the transponer in put some gaffer tape over the top, been like it for five years now

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

I was thinking it would mount snug up against the bottom and not be in the way. allowing for easy removal.

ny way I just ordered one so we will see if it fits when it comes!

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/marine/ma...chosounder.aspx

Edited by doshkadog

I was thinking it would mount snug up against the bottom and not be in the way. allowing for easy removal.

ny way I just ordered one so we will see if it fits when it comes!

If you can mount it snug then its worth a try I reckon. Good luck and let us know how you get on. I may do it too if it works out.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

The transducer cable should not be cut or shortened according to my instruction booklet, so how would you be able to remove it.

I have seen pictures of people who have fitted them via the scupper, but it does look very vunerable. I have now fitted with vaseline and Epoxy, both methods work extremely well they are out of harms way and as yet I've had no problems, the Caper with its Epoxy Puck has been working running for almost 2 years and the kayak has been dropped the nose twice... not by me I hasten to add... without it coming loose.

If you want it to run externally you can always fit a bracket to the stern.

It is of course a personal choice, and it's always interesting to see new ideas on the forum.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I have four immense scuppers!

But thats another problem. No I have the malibu II XL which has the rear scuppers protected by the lower keel like shape of the hull, i.e the scupper hole goes no where near the sand, this would not stop it from being knocked by a jagged rock though. I will have a look when it arives and see how high up it can be mounted.

How would it be removed? its all guess work as I have only just ordered it it may not even fit, so best to wait and see when it comes.

Its arrived!! and early christmas prezzy always nice. And no I do not think down the scupper will be a good idea. But as it comes with a suction cup mount i think i will mostlikely go with that.

Suction cup. Now theres an idea. What model is it doshkadog?

Have a look here its the cuda 128 portable, for £112 delivered in two days. comes with a porta power pack box that takes 8 pen cell batteries and apparantly lasts for 6 hours + I'll let you klnow how long it lasts. Its a neat little thing you an tilt the display in the mount even upside down which protects the electronics when landing and launching. The transducer comes with a large sucktion mount and safety tie incase it comes off so every thing is ready to use stick it on and go! once done the ransducer will even stow in the power pack box for tidy storage. With out using it it looks great I' ll report back once I've tried it.

Well I have sonared the bottom of me pond now and I have only got three gold fish left!!! Obviously cats do not need fish finders to find fish!!

Full report from sea as soon as I get there.

Edited by doshkadog