Sunday Was A Good'n . . .

Guest Silver Back

Sunday was a good'n,

O'Yes it was, <_< fish; the bigest codling about 3lb, quantity between 2 anglers; we had a dozen or so in total for a 3 hour sesion, plus a realy good whiting, would'nt mind a few more of those on me' light casting tackle. As I say we had a good time, tea, Danish pastries, hot sausage rolls. The wind was enough to cut you in two, and a swell developed on the port quarter, with small waves forming on the swells, uncumfortable for the smaller boats I would think. We could count 10 other boats around the Felixstowe and Wadgate ledge where we were. The VHF chatter was mixed, from "not had a touch in two hours" to " we've 18 so far" :o

Had a little time to ask around, seems a few 4 to 5lb'ders were taken, but most, the standard 2 to 3lbs.

Yes I had a great day :) Geting up at 5.45am is no fun in the winter even if a fishing trip is the reason, however the positive side is that Hazel gets up with me, tea, shreddies, stores bag packed, and a good by kiss, thats a good way to start any day. The 25 minuets drive to the marina is in an Easterly direction, this Sunday the sun rise was spectacular, wow, dont see those to often. I got to the Marina, sun rise was at its peak, I had had the privalige to see it develop to that high point :mellow: One of the best I've seen for a long time.

Rod had also just arived, "I was awake so I came down" he said. I usualy enjoy a half hour chill out on my own befor the crew arrive, :unsure: It was a pleasant change to have Rod there at chill time. First job, put the kettle on, while that was boiling we both busied around doing the checks and stowing ready for sea, all done, make tea, and little time reflecting on the preceding week.

OK, time to fire up the old Lister 6, she spins like a top even in the cold, -3 degrees, you would think the now special 30 grade low detergent oil would slow things down. Not a bit of it, but no heater so the starting takes a few seconds, cough, splutter, a few puffs of grey smoke and shes up and running, sounding as sweet as a nut. Much reasurance at this point as I listen to the old girl burbling away, happy to be operating as well as she did when she was fired up for the first time 27 years ago.

A few minuits to let things warm up, amps, volts and 50lbs of oil preasure, engine temperature rising nicely, 'aOK', chocks away . . . ? whoops :lol: . . . Cast off all lines . . . "all lines clear" calls Rod. KT is 35ft and 13 tones of small ship, it is a great feeling as we go gently astern, she has to tern through 90degs, in less than her own length. The single 30" prop turning at about 300rpm is all that you have as a break! and there are often a few hundred thousand pounds worth of 'gin palaces' in very close proximity. But she is so good natured and predictable, it is a matter of pride and pleasure as Rod and I regularly manouver KT through the marina.

She locks in and out like it as second nature, Rods many years experieance as crew on the restored Thames barges has been a big help to get the level of compitance and confidance we have in KT. The predictable old lady that she is.

Exiting the lock, its a new day the sun is fully up, sky is blue, engine reves to 1800, we set course for Languard point and the inshore marks beyound.

The rest of the day is a fishing trip. Codling, whiting, pout, umpteen cups of tea, Danish pastries and hot sausage rolls. Loose the tide and make the return trip, listen to the engine reasuringly beating its gentle heart, pushing KT at 8 knots. In no time we are back for a repeat in reverse of the mornings manouvers, this time with an audiance, one man and his dog, in the summer the lock rails are thick with on lookers and dogs! ;) A wash down, make secure, gas off, stern gland greased, master batterey switch off, all ready for next time.

Yes I had a great day, I discoverd my friend has similar views to my own, he to enjoying that early quiet time, I took pleasure in the handling of KT. The sun rise was a rarly seen spectical . Steaming to the mark, finding the likley spot, catching fish, the good company of another angler, these live as memories untill next time, when they will be added to

I find it hard to understand why there is so much 'down talking' on here at the moment. We did not catch much of note, if the trip were measued in those terms only it would not have been worth the trouble. My Sunday trip, as with most of my boat outings are pleasures to be savoured, punctuated occasionaly with a dimond in the form of a fish :mellow: cool B)

post-6273-1135024637_thumb.jpg

Spellbinding

post-6273-1135024929_thumb.jpg

Lock opens to sea, sun now fully up

post-6273-1135025540_thumb.jpg

the sight greeting me as I drew up

post-6273-1135025874_thumb.jpg

Hazel modelling the whiting, "this will be fish cakes tomorrow" tough life as a whiting

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Great report,pleased some fish are coming in :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

that whitings a beast, never seen one like that before. how much did it weigh?

anyone else caught one so big?

No idea mate, weight is not important to me, I simply enjoyed the experience. Sorry but thats how I see fishing, its a total experience, :mellow: peace and love?? There are quite a few large whiting coming to the boats off Felixstowe. MP had one a few weeks ago over 2lb!

:ph34r: