Canal - Lure Fishing

Quest

Hi there,

A small spinner will get roach. Last time I did it it was very cold and I only got about 1 per hour but they were all over a pound so I didn't really mind, plus I got a wee Jack.

I have only ever caught 2 pike canal lure fishing, but I haven't tried that much as I like deadbaiting. I sometimes like to dead one rod and lure the other.

Canal pike are likely to be near the bottom so I would suggest a diving lure or a shad that can be bumped along the bottom.

Good luck and hope the advice is OK.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

The trouble with lure fishing on canals is the amount of crap in them that you will get your lure snagged on and if this happens often enough it can be demoralising.

I personally use inexpensive lures with softish hooks and braid so I have a reasonable chance of retrieving them. As has been said spinners are good also spinnerbaits with grubs.

Quest - not a silly question and they do not usually come with grub on hook.

The best way(s) of putting soft plastic on the hook is not a really simple matter. Take a look at the video segment (link on This page) for an idea or two.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Pike love a bit of red on a lure. Perhaps it looks like a perch, rudd or roach's fins, perhaps blood - don't know but my most successful lures have had red on them as a rule.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear