Advice

Guest Josh Iddon

Hi, I really want a couple of small fish (gudgeon,little rudd, ect) and I need to be given a rough outline on how much this will cost. (I have no fish keeping equipment). I assume that I will need some kind of cooling device too.

Also what should I feed them? (leftover maggots,casters,little pellets or what???) :D

Any replys would be usefull, Thanks, Josh

post-7743-1135204642_thumb.jpg

Hi Josh ...

You do not say whether you intend to keep them in an indoor tank, or outside in a pond.

Assuming you want an indoor tank ...

Buy the biggest tank that space and finances will permit. Some 2nd-hand tanks can be found if you look around.

British freswater fish are all cold-water .. so no heater required. I have seen quite a lot of indoor setups of this type, and no cooling was used.

What they must have is clean, preferebly(sp?) moving water. An undergravel filter may do the job, but you will be better with some form of internal or external filter that keeps a good flow of water going throughout your tank. I would imagine that you can get a reasonable setup of this kind for between 100-200£.

As to feeding .. Stay of the maggots !!!

A little "natural" food is enjoyed by all fish, but what you have to look out for are uneaten bits on the bottom of the tank that will turn rotten and foul the water .. and kill the fish !!

Commercial feeds i.e. Trout pellets/ Dry foods etc are fine, and give them plenty of variety !! But only feed as much as the fish can eat in a couple of minutes. Do Not Overfeed !! Your fish should be eager for the food, and hunting around the tank and gravel for any stray bits that have been missed !! In the wild fish may go for days, or even weeks, with no food at all !!

Let us know how you get on ...

Good Luck !! Wiggly.

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Stay away from underground filters. Yes they work but internal or better still external filtration is far easier to clean.

If you look around you could pick up a 3 - 4ft tank with everything for £50 - £150.

Food wise, just feed them coldwater flake food and pellets. Treat them with the occasinal worm and bloodworms.

Joel

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg