Bog Pipe Special Rod Holder.

darnsarf

If you want to see the holder look at the Mountain man thread. Unfortunately, my camera is down so I am relying on Richis photo.

Aim: To make a single system that keeps the reel high enough, can be swung into position for fishing over the side, trolling and fishing downtide in the normal seating position. It must be cheap and easy to make.

Result the Bog Pipe Special as Richi as nicknamed it. Basically it is a swing arm system attached to the crate that can be swung from stern to bow. Attached at the end is a standard adjustable boat rod holder allowing further line and rod angle adjustment. Cost about £10 plus rod holder and crate. It also keeps the area to your front clear of clutter.

Bits.

A crate with vertical sides. Mine's from B & Q, £17.sold as a portable 4 draw holder. Throw the draws away.

90 degree toilet flush pipe. B&Q. Hence the name.

1m Length of standard waste pipe 22mm. B & Q

8 x M5 Stainless steel bolts.

4 x Waste pipe brackets. B & Q

Old Bike innertube

Boat Rod Holder. Tacklebargains £14.99

4 x M5 70mm Stainless Steel Bolts

1. Cut one end of the flush pipe down so that it will fit down, along the outside of the crate. Measure with the crate fitted in the Yak.

2. Insert the waste pipe into the flush pipe to strengthen. No need to glue perfect fit, just tap it into the bend. Cut to size.

3. Cut off a section of bike inner tube and put over the flush pipe at the crate end (short). This is where the brackets will hold the flush pipe inplace. The inner tube gives the brackets enough friction to make rotation of the arm stiff. Doesnt just flap about.

4 Attach the rod holder to the outside of the other end (long) of the flush pipe. Use the vertical rail fitting supplied. You will need to cut in grooves along the top and bottom of the flush pipe to accomodate the bolts.

5. If necessary reinforce the side of the crate where the brackets are going to be bolted.

6. Bolt, using the waste pipe brackets, the rod assembly to the crate making sure that the brackets are as tight as possible around the flush pipe.

You should now have a swinging arm multi positional rod holder system that puts the rod right by your side however you sit.

Yes, I am a Blue Peter kid.

Don't want to blow my own trumpet to much but it works really well. Only got one fitted at the moment as a trial but will now be putting another one on the other side. I have even attached an adjustable LED light to the arm that allows the seating area to be illuminated at night. Attach a red and green one to each side and you could have proper nav lights.

Any problems PM me

Paul

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Good Luck Dave.

Any probs get in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Have now finished my own version of the Bog Pipe Special Rod Holder and can't wait to try it out :fishing1: will post a photo up after the weekend with my cod/conger pictures :D:D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Richi can you take a close up of mine and we can post both together.

Richi can you take a close up of mine and we can post both together.

Of course I will mate :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Well hurry up then - I want to see one!

Happy to hear that you are able to Simon---- :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

Here is Darnsarfs Bog Pipe Special

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5