Zango search assistant

poledark

Anyone got any ides what this is? I got a warning that it "had been removed by a third party" and "needed reinstalling"

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Zango is classed as spyware. More of the annoyingware sort than damageware but none the less .....

From Here

Adware : Software that displays popup/popunder ads when the primary user interface is not visible or which do not appear to be assocaited with the product.

Reasons For Classification

Based on eTrust PestPatrol Spyware Scorecard v2.05.03 Zango violates the following criteria: First, Installs itself or any other item without user permission or knowledge at time of installation. Zango was obtained by navigating to a common news site and typing 'weather' into the search field. Search results included one titled Free Weather Notifier. The link associated with this tag was lp.zango.com. This landing page makes absolutely no mention of popup ads that will be displayed or data transmission activity, and, primarily, does not make clear that the user will be getting more software than just that related to the weather program.

Second, Displays popup/popunder ads that cannot be closed by clicking a clearly visible close button. During this testing Zango displayed a popup ad from http:// isg08.casalemedia. com/V2/41478/44064 (I broke the link - Newt). This particular ad is very misleading. It says: WARNING, You may have critical erros on you PC. The look and feel of the ad is that of Windows error. By mimicking Windows errors, the ad is using the reputation of Windows to sell the product associated with the ad. Furthermore, the ad gives two options, 'Next' and 'Cancel.' Clicking cancel does not close the ad, it opens another ad. Third, Updates itself or any other item without user permission or knowledge at time of update. Zango contacts downloads.180solutions.com to update the dat files placed in the ZangoClient directory. These files usually take a name similar to zanuau.dat and zanu_kyf.dat.

From Here

ZANGO Games

Another adware vendor, 180solutions, through its Zango division, creates games like "David vs. Goliath" and "Secret Chamber" that come with adware. Although the Zango sight mentions the targeted ads you will be receiving, most users will never visit the Zango site as the games are available from many free download sites like download.com and tucows where you may or may not see any warning at all.

I'd certainly class it as crapware and make it go away. You will probably need one of the spyware removal apps to get rid of it Den. I haven't been keeping close track of things but my guess is that Ad-aware and Spybot will both probably remove it for you. They are both free for the download but you will need to update after the initial install to get the current reference files.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt, I had just done a clean up with ad aware so it was probably trying to get me to reinstall itself (I hope),

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Yup. That's what is happening.

If you email me a copy of a Hijackthis report (make sure you have the latest version - was 1.99 last time I looked) I can tell you what entries to remove so the remenants of that trash quit bugging you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All quiet at the moment Newt..

thanks,

Den

Good to hear. If that changes, we can deal with the problems.