commercials Worries are unfounded

sam-cox

The concerns expressed by certain factions can rest assured that there will be no need for commercial bass fisherman to target other species while the bass grow to 45cm.

After the recent heated debates on the anglers net sea forums regarding the above I made some phone calls.

Apparently the 1999 year glass is a fairly healthy year class where numbers are concerned, most of these fish will be reaching the MAGIC 45CM that the BMP are calling for.There for there should be no need for commercial fisherman to target any other species to compensate.

Regarding the restricting of commercial fishing activities(these are my own opinions) this must be a good thing. I have worked on commercial fishing boats that work the inshore rivers and creeks. The buy catches consist of allies shad, flounders, sea urchins, star fish, and so on. The inshore trawlers realy do a hell of a lot of damage, thousands of tiny thornbacks get shoveled back dead or doomed.

So to ban commercial fishing in a one mile band around England can only be a good thing. Ok it may displace the commercial activity to offshore but at least the inshore estuaries which are the very foundations of a healthy fishery can be left to work well and build a substainable fishery.

If you wish for a tree to grow healthely you wouldnt cut of most of its roots, well its the same with the rivers and creeks that are in our estuaries. They are hammered by commercials gill netted, tremmel netted and ground trawls all chop away at the very roots of our fisheries.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Skippers? I didnt say anything about skippers.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!